Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.0 tagged in repository  (Read 7835 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0 tagged in repository
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:55 pm »
Hi

I have tagged the current revision as "2.0" in the repository, which means that it will be used to make the final release.

The final release is not ready yet, but people who waited for the official "2.0" revision (like for bindings or libraries) can already make their own corresponding release based on this revision, if they compile SFML themselves.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:10:35 pm by Laurent »
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: SFML 2.0 tagged in repository
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:24:56 pm »
Nice, it's getting closer! :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:04:57 pm »
It's quite strange, all my calenders still show the year 2013, so they must be all wrong at once, since SFML couldn't possibly get tagged as 2.0 in 2013... No it has to be a mistake of the calenders and the real year might be something similar to it, like 2103... ;D

Great job and keep the final release + new website coming! :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:57 am »
As much as I want to ask for a guestimate timeframe for the 2.0 release, I won't (because the answer is always "it's done when it's done").

I do, however, want to ask about how much work is left. If I recall correctly, you said the tutorials are all done, and now that the code is done, I assume the only thing left is the website. About how much of the website is done vs how much of it is not finished?

Also, I'm excited :)

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:33:27 am »
As much as I want to ask for a guestimate timeframe for the 2.0 release, I won't (because the answer is always "it's done when it's done").

I do, however, want to ask about how much work is left. If I recall correctly, you said the tutorials are all done, and now that the code is done, I assume the only thing left is the website. About how much of the website is done vs how much of it is not finished?

Also, I'm excited :)
He said on github that the website is mostly done and will be released this month. Here's to hoping he doesn't get hit by Hofstadter's Law.
I use the latest build of SFML2

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:04:56 am »
Everything is ready. You know what's missing? The final logo...

I'll browse all the contributions and try to "do" something quickly. The final release can't be blocked by that.

Dragnalith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:54 am »
After the release it could be interested to have a postmortem about the development of 2.0. I would love to know how SFML 2.0 has been developed. What is the idea behind, why 2.0 and not 1.7, what difficulties did you suffer from, the history…

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:51:57 am »
Yes, could be interesting. But I probably won't have the time for that. And it lasted so long (I started SFML 2 4 years ago), I don't remember the interesting details :-\

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 03:32:42 pm »
Together with the community, it should be possible to find out a lot of the details. For example, I was involved in many design discussions concerning SFML 2, and should be able to find most of them. But of course we can't know everything about Laurent's philosophy :)

About the logo, it wouldn't be a shame to change it later, in case it doesn't please you in the long term. Irrlicht also did that (old new). It would be a pity if after years of discussing a good logo, you have to do a last-minute decision ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 04:47:49 pm »
Everything is ready. You know what's missing? The final logo...

I'll browse all the contributions and try to "do" something quickly. The final release can't be blocked by that.
YAY!

A note about the logo: so far you've been (mostly) quiet in the logo thread. Which I think was good for people expressing some (pretty different) ideas. But I think it would be awesome if you could go through the thread and pick your favorites and give any specific directions you can for your favorites (this is, of course, if there isn't one that stands out to you as the The Chosen One).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 05:01:24 pm »
I was thinking about keeping the old logo for a while, too. You're right that I shouldn't change until I've found the perfect one. If I change for another logo made in 5 minutes, we'll have the same discussion again for SFML 3 ;)

But the current logo will be hard to insert in the new website, I'll probably have to make some changes to the design.

My opinion about the contributions... it's hard to tell. The only thing I'm sure of is that there's no winner. There are also a lot that I don't like at all. There was some interesting ideas, but I still don't know in which direction I'd like to go for this logo :-\

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:30 pm »
But the current logo will be hard to insert in the new website, I'll probably have to make some changes to the design.
Can you share some screenshots of the new site? It might inspire a few ideas.

My opinion about the contributions... it's hard to tell. The only thing I'm sure of is that there's no winner. There are also a lot that I don't like at all. There was some interesting ideas, but I still don't know in which direction I'd like to go for this logo :-\
It makes it hard if you don't know what you want ;) Are there any kind of themes or ideas you're trying to capture with a logo? Any core concepts you want it to express or represent? Logos for other things (1, 2, 3) are cooler/more interesting/easier to come up with because the name/product is easier to visualize, easier to understand, and represent something more concrete. SFML, on the other hand, isn't really a name that inspires anything visual, it's not a concrete product (or doesn't represent a concrete thing), and a lot of people don't really understand exactly what it is (hence there's a ton of requests which get the response "that's not in SFML's scope").

I'm just trying to point out some of the things that make coming up with an awesome logo hard for SFML.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »
I was thinking about keeping the old logo for a while, too. You're right that I shouldn't change until I've found the perfect one. If I change for another logo made in 5 minutes, we'll have the same discussion again for SFML 3 ;)

One option is to not use any logo (until you've settled on one) (with a little link below the non-logo that links to a "SFML needs a logo" thread).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:00:06 pm by Cornstalks »

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:53 am »
I'd definitely wait with the release until you've found a suitable logo. Shit or bust! ;)

Klaim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 11:24:03 am »
I didn't read all the thread, but just wanted to say I have a pull request I'd like to be in 2.0 and forgot to complete, I'll complete it today if it's not too late!