Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Debian/Ubuntu packages for SFML  (Read 61893 times)

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
Re: Debian/Ubuntu packages for SFML
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
 :o Ok, I understand, that would be the obvious solution to all the problems  ;D
TGIF and I can give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks in advance  :-*

Btw. I did came up with the solution to my other problem, I build a 32bit version of libGLEW instead of a 64bit version. Shame on me. This cries for a tutorial "How to setup SFML2.1 on Ubuntu correctly" ;)
Maybe I do such a tutorial after I solved my problems.

Cheers!

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 01:34:43 pm »
This cries for a tutorial "How to setup SFML2.1 on Ubuntu correctly" ;)
Maybe I do such a tutorial after I solved my problems.

There's a tutorial

And a lot of people on the forum that asked about pre-built libs on Ubuntu all ending with the same answer, the link I just gave.

Using CMake is really easy, if you follow the tutorial step by step there isn't any problem. (I say that to everyone finding this post, sure you solved your problem SeriousITGuy)

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 09:36:39 am »
When you are like me and have problems building SFML on Linux with the official tutorial, here is now my tutorial on how to build SFML on Ubuntu correctly with every dependency:

How to setup SFML on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I wrote this post two months ago, but with the release of 14.04 LTS, I decided to postpone the release of the tutorial and update it for 14.04 LTS, which I done yesterday. So here you are ;)

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 06:20:50 pm »
SFML is running very well on ubuntu 14.04 LTS. (And I must admit that it's the best thing that I never had)

It's very fast, even with multi-pass rendering. :)

Normally you have to install cmake-gui, the needed SFML dependencies, you follow the tutorial and it works.

amhndu

• Err, err and err again, but less, less and less
    • View Profile
    • amhndu.github.io
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2014, 04:52:49 am »

After this we need all dependencies of SFML solved. Enter the following commands (order doesn't matter)

sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev
sudo apt-get install libjpeg-dev
sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev
sudo apt-get install libxrandr-dev
sudo apt-get install libglew-dev
sudo apt-get install libsndfile1-dev
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev
You also have to install udev(sudo apt-get install libudev-dev) ,atleast I have to in 12.04

Also , you can set the install path on cmake as /usr/ instead of the default /usr/local/.
So you can link to sfml directly from "-lsfml-<module>".

That is the only problem most of Ubuntu users probably faced , those who can't or don't know how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib/ . Even a simple cut-paste to /usr/lib/ would do.
That said either it might be worth mentioning in official tutorial that if the linker couldn't find the libs , how it can be resolved in general.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2014, 07:58:37 am »
There's also "apt-get build-dep" which makes things a little easier - udev still has to be installed manually though.

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 08:46:19 am »
@amhndu: Hm I did not need to install libudev-dev, must check if something has preinstalled it, but could be a difference between 12.04 and 14.04. I will do another clean 14.04 install on my test system and check the tutorial again, maybe I oversaw something.
For the library path, I had no problem with linking although my sfml libs reside in /usr/local/lib. Maybe Code::Blocks 13.11 added it to the standard search path. Will check it also.

But good points you mentioned, will check them and update the tutorial appropriately.

@Tank: I did not know about apt-get build-dep command, looks promising. Will check it definitely, maybe it eases up the whole process. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Cheers!

amhndu

• Err, err and err again, but less, less and less
    • View Profile
    • amhndu.github.io
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:43 am »
Hm I did not need to install libudev-dev
You , didn't need to , because you are not using the development version of 2.1 , it has changed recently , so you may specify that if someone downloads the source from github , then they might have to install udev. (although it's an easy guess , cmake error clearly says udev is not installed ...)

For the library path, I had no problem with linking although my sfml libs reside in /usr/local/lib. Maybe Code::Blocks 13.11 added it to the standard search path. Will check it also.
That's because you are directly specifying the libraries by their full path.
What I mean is using the linker you can specify -lsfml-<module>[-d] to gcc , so that you compile it as it's given in the official tutorial or from command line without caring where exactly are those shared libraries.
Or maybe in 14.04 /usr/local/lib is added to ld search path.
Well , can you compile this SFML Hello World example :
(click to show/hide)
using these commands on a terminal :
Code: [Select]
$ gcc -o foo foo.cpp -lsfml-graphics -lsfml-system

And yeah... I forgot to say
" Great work Sonkun !!!"

cpainterwakefield

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 10:46:09 am »
new here, sorry if this has been addressed.

Packages for SFML 2.1 under Linux Mint 17 are slightly broken:
- needs libGLEW.so.1.5 as compiled, but only libGLEW.so.1.10 is available
- right now installing the 64-bit sfml-dev package installs the 32-bit libjpeg, not the correct 64-bit libjpeg

These are easily worked around for a reasonably experienced user, and of course I can compile the thing myself etc.  However, I'm evaluating using SFML in a classroom setting with users who are *not* experienced.  It would be nice if I could tell them to just install from the repository, rather than explaining all the extra stuff they need to do.  What is required to get the package(s) fixed?  Can I help somehow?

Thanks!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 11:32:07 am »
If it's the package from the official repository of your OS, then send an e-mail to the package maintainer(s) or use their mailing list.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

cpainterwakefield

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2014, 12:17:24 am »
ok, thanks, I've done that.

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2014, 04:40:04 pm »
new here, sorry if this has been addressed.

Packages for SFML 2.1 under Linux Mint 17 are slightly broken:
- needs libGLEW.so.1.5 as compiled, but only libGLEW.so.1.10 is available
- right now installing the 64-bit sfml-dev package installs the 32-bit libjpeg, not the correct 64-bit libjpeg

These are easily worked around for a reasonably experienced user, and of course I can compile the thing myself etc.  However, I'm evaluating using SFML in a classroom setting with users who are *not* experienced.  It would be nice if I could tell them to just install from the repository, rather than explaining all the extra stuff they need to do.  What is required to get the package(s) fixed?  Can I help somehow?

Thanks!
I had same problem when I've upgraded Linux Mint  version (from 15 to 16). They don't support version upgrades. You should always do fresh install with Mint. Thats probably only reason why I'm using Ubuntu and Arch (for Pc and laptop).

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
I posted an update to my previous article about setting up SFML on Ubuntu in my blog. I used the latest build from GitHub to also test for the release of 2.2. Check it out, every suggestion is welcome.

Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:57 pm »
@Sonkun

Could you please update the PPA to the latest version of SFML. Thanks.

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2015, 03:43:35 pm »
Ah quick shout out to all who want to compile SFML on Ubuntu 14.04.2 or .3 (Trusty with Utopic Stack enabled). There is a broken dependency in the freeglut3-dev and libglew-dev package which don't let you install said packages and therefore you cannot compile SFML on such systems at the moment. I just ran into this issue yesterday while newly installing my Linux development machine. There seems to be a workaround with the trusty-proposed ppa, but I could not get it to work until now.

anything