Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: DreamWorld  (Read 4683 times)

MasterQ32

• View Profile
    • MasterQ32.de
DreamWorld
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:03 pm »
Hey!

I've just started with SFML, but my project DreamWorld has developed to a pretty good state already.
I think most of you know the RPG Maker series to create your own small RPG games. Two weeks ago an idea flashed through my mind: What if i build something that allows players to play in a huge world and designers to create their own game and share it with others?
I spent some time on digging deeper into the idea and now DreamWorld is a game where you can play like in the RPG Maker games. But there are some big differences:
  • The whole game is designed as an MMO.
  • There will be no "official" game.
  • Every server hosts its own game.
  • Every client contains the basic tools to create it's own game
  • The whole thing should be content based.

So what i got so far?
  • Multiplayer is nearly completed. Some basic features like a text chat and an RCON admin system are missing.
  • Rendering is at a pretty good progress as well, i've got dynamic weather (clear, rain, snow) and a day/night system. Sprites can drop simple shadows.
  • A RPG Maker alike GUI system that is fairly easy to use and flexible.
  • A system to manage unique user ids per server
  • Player right management (Allowed to play multiplayer, Allowed to upload worlds, Allowed to use RCON)
  • EmotiCom chat system. Allows you to spawn small emoticons above your head
  • Scripting engine for an easy map programming
  • Tile collission system that can block each side of a tile instead of the whole tile
  • CoRoutine system for "parallel" execution
  • Support for RPG Maker resources
  • Small and easy level editor

So how it looks like? Just like a standard RPG Maker game, because i haven't got any artist to create me tilesets or sprites. But take a look:

I hope you like it (i will do another video in time, but first i want to get my RCON system running and build a second world.
Would be nice to hear some critics, suggestions and generic feedback.

Greetings
Felix Qu.

PS.:
If someone wants to create some graphics for me that would be absolutly awesome!
I sawed the demons.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: DreamWorld
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:46:07 pm »
So you're essentially providing some kind of lobby to join games as well as the possibility to develop these games "in-game"? Or are the games themselves developped with common tools, and your "meta-game" provides the possibility to join them?

Since you're talking about scripting and collision, you probably have a concrete imagination of how the joinable games look. Can you explain a bit more about them, and maybe about the whole interaction with the meta-game?
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

MasterQ32

• View Profile
    • MasterQ32.de
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:26 pm »
So you're essentially providing some kind of lobby to join games as well as the possibility to develop these games "in-game"? Or are the games themselves developped with common tools, and your "meta-game" provides the possibility to join them?
It's more the first option. I will provide two options for creating a meta-game:
The first one relies only on built-in systems (simple scripting language, easy level editor and some kind of player-world-interaction.
The second option is planned to be some kind of server/client-plugin system that allows digging deeper into the system to get more options and possibilities to create a meta-game.
Both systems will have the same input system, so players don't need to learn new controls and behaviours for each meta-game.

Since you're talking about scripting and collision, you probably have a concrete imagination of how the joinable games look. Can you explain a bit more about them, and maybe about the whole interaction with the meta-game?
My current plans swapped from 2D to 3D meta-games. My references are the default RPG Maker XP games and Final Fantasy VII. So i will target some kind of J-RPGs. The meta-game will provide graphics and story, maybe some additional programming for creating a complex story line, but i want to provide a way to create games without programming.

I hope i could clarify my idea a little...
Greetings
Felix
I sawed the demons.

MasterQ32

• View Profile
    • MasterQ32.de
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
Some days ago i got the idea of switching to 3D with DreamWorld. My current progress looks pretty good and the system itself is very flexible. I stayed with tile based maps, but freed the movement so it's not tile bound anymore. A tile is defined by 4 vertices so tiles can also built slopes or other uneven structures.
I also could built some easy model support (texture and normals), vertex animation and mesh groups are WIP.

Here are some new screenshots:

I sawed the demons.

anything