Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML Game Jam Submissions!  (Read 32350 times)

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
SFML Game Jam Submissions!
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:12:35 am »
We are almost half way through the game jam, so I thought it was a good time to open up the submission thread.

Feel free to talk about the jam in this thread, but please use this one only for submissions to the jam itself.

Awesome job so far everyone! Keep up the good work!
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Re: SFML Game Jam Submissions!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:03 pm »
LandS - Lights and Shadow

Hi there.

I post my game. I was alone, I did graphics, sounds with sfxr and music with autotracker.py. I made maps with Tiled.

I used TinyXML, Lua and my framework pulled from SFML Game Development Book (without wich I would have included so much features in the game, so TANK YOU I LOVE YOU GUYS !)

This is a exploration/find the exit game. You're in a castle that is haunted by ghosts, well, you're a GhostBuster on your spare time... Get your slime gun ready and find the exit !

Please note that the game isn't fully finished, but there iseverything you need to enjoy it for a while !

Indeed it includes :
- 3 levels (tuto + 2 big levels)
- Slime
- Keys and doors
- More slime
- Lights
- Walls (if everything goes right, non-buggy)
- Shrooms and Slime-Shrooms
- Ghosts of course !

If there is still bugs, speling or grammar mistakes (I'm french and I suck at grammar), please let me know on my thread in Project section (not here).

I plan to do updates, so keep informed !

Next Updates :

- Restart level when failed
- Pickup objects (healing potions, battery for torch, invunerability pack, ...)
- A title screen with a background
- Good looking menus
- Different ghosts, more levels and bosses (well, not now...) !

Sources :

You can find sources on GitHub : https://github.com/Lo-X/lands

Download :

Linux (x64)
Linux (x32)
Windows

Note that I'm a Linux user, so it my not work very well on windows, especially if you have a not-recent graphic card or outdated drivers...
Readme are joined

Video :

Soon ... (tomorrow, actually)

Screenshots :

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:18:34 pm by Lo-X »

massive_potato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:39:41 am »
Here's my submission for the game jam: Shadows and Slithers - a snake clone with a twist

In this game, you play as a fruit-eating snake looking for a late night snack. As you eat more fruit, your vision decreases, leaving you in darkness. You must avoid accidentally eating yourself and you must stay within the screen at all times.

I have not yet added sounds, but I do plan on doing so in the future. I also plan on adding multiplayer support (either on the same computer or online). I may also add different game modes.

Github Link: https://github.com/MassivePotato/SFML_Game_Jam_Submission

Mediafire Link (contains .exe): http://www.mediafire.com/download/jw60lb8lc77c4nm/Shadows_and_Slithers.rar

Resources Used: Gimp (textures), Arial font, my personal SFML libraries, and (of course) SFML.

I don't have any screenshots to share (I have no idea how to embed them in a comment), so I apologize for that.

Please report any bugs, errors, or missing files/assets. Thanks!

cpolymeris

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:41 am »
My humble submission:

DMZ

Because, somewhere, a better life awaits you.

Video on youtube I couldn't find out how to record the audio, though :(

Tools used
  • SFML and its .Net port
  • as3sfxr and Audacity for audio
  • The GIMP for graphics
  • Paint Cans Free font by graffitifonts. This font is not open-source. Used with permission.

Downloads
  • Binaries, which should work on both Linux and Windows, but I have only tested the former (SFML.Net and Windows version of CSML included. Add your own SFML & Mono or .Net, 4.0 should do)
  • Sources (ugly), zlib license
Please let me know if it runs on Windows (or not).

TODO
I have a few ideas to make everything a bit prettier (if that's the right word, considering the mood of the game), and add more audio layers for better immersion. The map generation is too random; you can get easy runs and impossible ones. Overall, gameplay needs a lot of adjustments to be fun. Online highscores was also an idea that crossed my mind, but the problem is protecting that against fake submissions (since it's open source, obscurity won't work). Not that anyone would care enough about this game to submit fake highscores, but, still.

Conclusion
This was a very fun experience. I was forced to actually design and produce a working game, and, honestly, it came out better than I expected. Usually, when coding, I tend to get caught up trying to make everything perfect, and end up adding layer upon layer of well thought-out abstractions, the implementation of which ends up taking too much time. This was different: since I had a hard deadline, I had to toss aside considerations of elegance and efficiency (e.g. no sophisticated resource managers, instead a  simple singleton class, shudders!), and just focus on having a working and hopefully fun end product.

EDIT. BTW, Jebbs, where is it ok to discuss the submissions? This thread (after the deadline) or somewhere else? I'd love to hear feedback on my game.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:38:06 am by cpolymeris »

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Game Jam Submission - TwoFace
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:54 pm »
Disclaimer
This game was written in 72h and so the coding style is very ugly  :P  Therefore I want to say that I am proud that I was able to finish a "complete"  ::) game in 72 hours. The gameplay is decent and so it the storyline. However I despise the coding style I used, the terrible performance my game has, and the ugly graphics. But all in all I am happy  ;D

The Fun Stuff
TwoFace is a split screen platform jumper. All of the graphics are done in black and white using SFML's shapes and vertex arrays. The player moves the same on each side. Each side can contain the same game objects or it can contain specific objects to each side. With this design you must focus on both sides as you move through the levels - there could be spikeballs hidden anywhere  ;)

You can also launch orbs, orbs are specific to either the right or the left side. Each orb allows you to view what is hidden in areas as the orb passes over the surrounding space.

Now to move around use WASD/Arrow Keys/Num8-Num4-Num5-Num6. Use V for dark orbs and B for light orbs. I also have included hidden stuff in each level, including some shortcuts and some not so much shortcuts. There is 7 levels to play, each level at the end you go through a colored door until you have gone through all seven colors of the rainbow.

There is a background story that you will see in game, but if you wish to read it with formatting take a look here.

Downloads
All of TwoFace's source code can be found here on Bitbucket. TwoFace was written in C#/.NET and I have built binaries for Windows targeted against the .NET 3.5 framework here.

Features
  • Seven Levels
  • Good Background (and Ending) Storyline
  • Monochrome Coloring Scheme
  • Introduction and Ending Screens
  • Fade through transitions

Known Bugs
  • Story text has no punctuation in game
  • Current font doesn't support punctuation
  • Physics have some slight glitches

Screenshots

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:42:40 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »

Lightspeed

Lightspeed is a small skill-based game, which has been created during the first SFML Game Jam. The goal of the game is to collect as many points as possible by advancing as far as possible.

Mechanics

The game is completely keyboard based, thus no mouse is required. To navigate the menu, you use the Up and Down arrows keys and to select an entry you use Enter.

While playing the game you use the Left and Right key to move the player and you can get an faster movement when holding Space.

The text in the upper right corner tells you what the currently active effect is. If there's no text, then current state is Normal. Next to the different effects there are also variations in speed. The speed can increase or decrease. The background strips can also have different speeds making things a bit more confusing.

Moving in the danger zone in front of an in-coming box, also known as beam, will grant you a triple point multiplier. The multiplier will only be active when no effect is active.

Although I don't advise you to quit the game, but if you want to do so anyways, you can either use Esc to open the in-game menu or simply close the window with the [X] or by pressing Alt+F4.

Download
Version 1.0

Source

Warning: The source code was created within 72h and is thus not well written. I do not advise you to copy parts of it. There are also known issues with the code base!

Used Tools
  • SFML
  • Code::Blocks
  • MinGW Builds (4.8.1)
  • CMake
  • sfxr
  • Gimp
  • PhotoFiltre
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:22:35 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Cpl.Bator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »
Asteroid Madness

Asteroid madness is inspired by the game from Asteroid on Atari 7800 , all was created during the last 72 hours. The game use a lot of shader, an heavy machine is recommended.
The goal is simple, kill asteroid and stay alive in the universe :

Download

Tested on win7 x32-64 :
  win32

Problem with my f*@k!ng provider...
  url for linux 64 come later...

Source

source download

Tools :

sfxr for the sound , gimp & photoshop for gfx , kate & notepad++ , cmake / cmake-gui & shell.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:47:46 pm by Cpl.Bator »

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:47:55 pm »
Guys, all please support http://www.twitch.tv/thegeekatory in the last couple of minutes, he's flipping out. :P

Aster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 04:54:45 pm »
Lumenumbra; the minimalistic light-based game.
Uploading now, will add screenshots to post once post is finished no time blah.
Here's a link: Windows only atm have fun!

AAAAAH STRESSS WHOOOOSAAAHHH

EDIT: Now that I'm less stressed, here's a link to the source.
I overslept last night, which was the cause of my stress. Also, lots of coffee.
Excuse me for low fps, but I had no time for optimizations.
The game depends on SFML 2.{0,1}, and jsoncpp.
I'm so tired. I might sleep.
Thanks for the support, guys and gals.

EDIT ZWEI:
Here's a screenshot, too;
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:17:47 pm by Aster »

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:08:56 pm »
And that's it, guys!

Thanks for participating! :D

Akrotrili

• View Profile
    • Bonjour
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:09:48 pm »
Hey,

Piticroissant and me made this game called Horton's Odyssey: http://akrotrili.tk/SFMLGJ/Horton.7z (only for Windows at the moment, sorry ^^)
It's a platformer (kind like Meat Boy) which uses SFML 2.1 and Box2D.

Here's some screenshots:

And here's the source code: http://akrotrili.tk/SFMLGJ/src.7z (not recommended)
We hope you'll like it. We'll add some stuff later. ;)

Pro tip: you can play with a controller.
P.-S. : WE'RE NOT LATE! \o
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:32:35 pm by Akrotrili »

aeron

• MSN Messenger - aeron005@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://aeron.uni.cc/
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »
First of all, thanks for hosting this jam. I really enjoyed having an excuse to crank something out. This one had me up all night in a crunch to finish!

Here are some screens:

Well, it's not quite as finished as I'd like, but I think I made good enough progress and at least it's playable. The story is that your most prized diamond was stolen by a cave-dwelling band of thieves. You must infiltrate their caves and take back what's yours! Oh, and also whatever treasure you manage to find along the way. Beware: the thieves won't go down without a fight! After finding the diamond, you must survive your escape back to the surface!

Controls:
Arrow keys: move and aim
X: Throw ninja rope
Z: Jump and release ninja rope
C: Drop bomb (limited supply)
Enter or space: restart game after death

Features:
Randomly generated levels
Dynamically lit world
Fully destructible terrain

Anyway, here's the download for Windows:
lite-jam.zip (3.5mb)

I do wish I had more time to spend on the spriting, they were all quite rushed since I wanted to focus on coding everything. Can you believe that in a jam with a light/shadow theme I didn't implement lighting until the last two hours?! My excuse is that I started late and worked slowly :P I'm just glad it came together in the end, so I hope you all enjoy it.

Source code of release:
lite-src.zip
It includes my C::B project, but can be built and linked to SFML any of the usual ways. The only other dependency is that C++11 support must be enabled on the compiler suite (-std=c++11).

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:12:13 am by aeron »

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »
You guys are lucky I can't lock the thread :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:28:33 pm by Jebbs »

Cpl.Bator

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 05:29:47 pm »
the rules is the rules , 72h for make game, not 72h and 9 or 20 minutes :D

Akrotrili

• View Profile
    • Bonjour
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 05:35:57 pm »
What if we started 9min after the beginning? :3
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:51:19 pm by Akrotrili »