Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.1 Snapshot Simple and Fast Installer! for VS2013  (Read 5103 times)

SeanRamey

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.1 Snapshot Simple and Fast Installer! for VS2013
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:07:55 pm »
So, I decided that I would make an easy way for everybody to setup SFML and add it to Visual Studio 2013 via a simple installer.

This installer installs SFML 2.1 snapshot to "program files (x86)/SFML" by default. It also adds a start menu folder with a shortcut to the uninstaller and the SFML help. In addition to that, I included template projects I made for VS2013. They include a basic SFML application, and a Win32 SFML application. Each template has 4 build configurations: debug, debug static, release, and release static. They both have an empty version, and the non-empty version includes the example source from the SFML tutorials, and I used Fitzy's preprocessor library linking which is in a precompiled header ,"stdafx.h", so that the static SFML libraries would work. These templates are installed to "C:\Users\CurrentUser\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Templates\Project Templates\Visual C++ Project\". As long as your VS2013 uses the default directories, this installer should work fine.

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sfmlsimpleandfastinstaller/files/latest/download

Lemme know if you have any problems!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: SFML 2.1 Snapshot Simple and Fast Installer! for VS2013
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 07:57:21 am »
Yet another one of these threads, I don't get it, but oh well. ;D

Btw I don't recommend preprocessor linking magic. Linking is not the job of the source code, but it's the job of the build system/project file/ make file. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

dysoco

• View Profile
Re: SFML 2.1 Snapshot Simple and Fast Installer! for VS2013
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:46 am »
Hm this is not working for me.

I installed Visual C++ Express 2013, downloaded the .exe and installed it.
I see the examples in my VS, but when I try to build them it just fails, telling me it can't find the SFML libraries.

Also I don't like all this pragma directives... but if that saves me set-up time, I guess it's fine.

SeanRamey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:16:29 am »
Hm this is not working for me.

I installed Visual C++ Express 2013, downloaded the .exe and installed it.
I see the examples in my VS, but when I try to build them it just fails, telling me it can't find the SFML libraries.

Also I don't like all this pragma directives... but if that saves me set-up time, I guess it's fine.

I'm not sure why it isn't finding the sfml libs. I have a question, did you change the installation directory of SFML? If you did, then that's probably the problem. I am, admittedly, a pretty big dumbass at times, but I apparently forgot to make sure the include directories in the templates matched the installation directory if the user customized it... :P

As for the pragma directives, I just used Fitzy's, from his binaries and templates, because I don't know of any other work around for the static libraries. I'm not really very experienced, just trying to help out the community where I can.

dysoco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45:22 pm »
Ah snap you are right! I changed the installation path to C:\lib\SFML and it didn't change in the template.

Anyways this is great, I can finally start working right away without worrying of setting up libraries, etc. Thanks for what you're doing!

SeanRamey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:55:16 pm »
No problem, I am, however, having problems with making the templates use the correct directory if the user customizes the installation. VS2013 doesn't want to work correctly with environment variables. I tried making a variable and VS2013 will find it and use it, but it acts more like a constant than a variable. It just seems to replace $(SFML) with "C:\Program Files (x86)\SFML" instead of actually reading from the variable and using it to find the actual directory.... SO, it might be a while before I can actually fix this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:57:58 pm by SeanRamey »

SeanRamey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »
Alright! Finally got the template fixed! Should work perfectly now!

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sfmlsimpleandfastinstaller/

anything