Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Guess The Number  (Read 3458 times)

thebwainz

• View Profile
Guess The Number
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:20:38 pm »
Update (18 Sep 2014)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just released a new version (0.0.3.0). I have improved a lot of things, added a save/load feature for the game settings, and a fun little bot that can play the game. I'm currently working on an "expert bot" that excels at playing the game, and other stuff like sounds. Get the new version here and stay tuned for future releases :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Original post:)

Hey there!

I just released my adaptation of the game "Guess The Number" which most of you have probably heard of. I've been working on it on and off for the last weeks.

Essentially, it's just a simple number guessing name: A randomly generated number between two bounds has to be guessed within a certain number of turns. I implemented just that with some simplistic graphics using C++ and SFML.

You can download the game from my website: Click me!

My website: http://www.axel-m.de/

The to-do list is kind of big and a lot of stuff I want to see in the game hasn't been implemented yet (for example save/load settings, sounds, a bot that plays for you, more customization, etc.). I'll continue working on it though and will release new versions as I finish them.

Even though it's a simple game, I'd appreciate it if you could give me your opinion on this adaptation. If you have any suggestions for this game or have found any bugs or anything please let me know. It's very much welcome!

Thanks for reading, and here are some screenshots from the initial release version:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:07:09 pm by thebwainz »

Geheim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Guess The Number
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:54:29 pm »
Welcome to the forums ;)

Pretty cool how it turned out, all the small things which make it look professional, like the background rectangle that changes the size, when changing the menu state, etc... nicely done!

I didn't found any bugs or unexpected behaviour (Altough I really tried to, but everything works fine :D)

Some suggestions from my side:
  • Maybe add an editable number field, like correcting previous digits without removing everything before it, also pressing the mouse anywhere ingame causes it to guess, is this intended?
  • You could make an actual link to your website.
  • And as you said your to-do list, but maybe a local (and online) highscore list or something, too?

Thanks for sharing! This "simpel" game is in many points better than "more complicated" ones I've seen so far ;)
You put quite some work in the little details, which is good and feels great. Keep up your work ;)
Failing to succeed does not mean failing to progress!

greenk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 05:12:23 am »
Hi there :) Really nicely done.
Any chance of releasing the source..?

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:22 am »
Welcome to the forums ;)

Pretty cool how it turned out, all the small things which make it look professional, like the background rectangle that changes the size, when changing the menu state, etc... nicely done!

I didn't found any bugs or unexpected behaviour (Altough I really tried to, but everything works fine :D)

Thank you, and it's good to see my coding wasn't too sloppy :)

• Maybe add an editable number field, like correcting previous digits without removing everything before it, also pressing the mouse anywhere ingame causes it to guess, is this intended?

That's a nice idea, and I'll put it on my to-do list.

Pressing the mouse button anywhere isn't supposed to trigger the guess button. I already fixed it, thank you!

• And as you said your to-do list, but maybe a local (and online) highscore list or something, too?

I can definitely do that. Online probably not, but local for sure.

Thanks for sharing! This "simpel" game is in many points better than "more complicated" ones I've seen so far ;)
You put quite some work in the little details, which is good and feels great. Keep up your work ;)

It's funny that you say that because I did put quite some work into the small details ;)

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked it!

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:16:11 am »
Hi there :) Really nicely done.
Any chance of releasing the source..?

Hey, thanks.

It's a definite possibility, I'll just have to clean it up first ;)

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »
Hey guys, quick update:

I just released a new version (0.0.3.0). I have improved a lot of things, added a save/load feature for the game settings, and a fun little bot that can play the game. I'm currently working on an "expert bot" that excels at playing the game, and other stuff like sounds. Get the new version here and stay tuned for future releases :)

TheKingArthur

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:17:55 pm »
A very nice game. I like it ! The code is open source ?