Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SuperSpiel3D - My first game  (Read 4412 times)

SeriousAlexej

• View Profile
    • Email
SuperSpiel3D - My first game
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:21 pm »
I've just finished my first year in university and decided to upload my last project. We had a task to write 2 programs: a console simulator of cockroach races and a game with bots, multiplayer and such (the teacher said that it was our task to find out how to do it and that google is our best friend, he was obviously trolling us  :D ). We also had to split up into 2 teams, and our team decided to combine those 2 projects into one multiplayer FPS game with cockroaches, the game was meant to be a parody. I grabbed SFML and Bullet physics (and sfeMovie at the end) and experimented for a few weeks, and then the work started.

The result was not as good as we wanted, but it was much better than we expected :)  This project was our guarantee to get good marks for programming.

The game itself is not really good: it has some memory leaks, random crashes (probably because I didn't use mutexes :P ) and such, but it's my first game and the first relatively big project I worked on. And this is my first step from console applications.

Here are some screenies:
(click to show/hide)

And an outdated gameplay-video

Here's a download link if you want to check it out, but I must warn you that the game uses some resources from other games, but I don't think It's a problem for such small and already obsolete project.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: SuperSpiel3D - My first game
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »
Hehe nice! :D
Did you create all the models yourself?

I get all the rush about uni projects, but if you have some time and want to make the game look quite a bit better with not that much effort, then I suggest you play around a bit with the text. Using plain colors is really bad. ;D

Is the game play simply shooting the enemy? Is it like a death match mode or last man/team standing?
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

SeriousAlexej

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
Most models were borrowed, but some of them are made by me and textured by my friend.

The gameplay is a classic DM. We wanted to make more gamemodes, but had no time left :)

select_this

• Current mood: just ate a pinecone
    • View Profile
    • darrenferrie.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »
I can't think of too many games where you play as a cockroach that can fire ammunition. Nice job :)
Follow me on Twitter, why don'tcha? @select_this

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:40:41 pm »
Errrk cockcroach !

That's nice, some feedback :
- The heath is not visible enough, IMO.
- Need some kind of crosshair to know where you shot

What did you use SFML for ?

SeriousAlexej

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
The crosshair is present, though it's not very helpful :)

I used SFML for everything I could: input, window, 2D-graphics, 3D-sound, font, texture loading, networking (with TCP), threading.