Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Maze  (Read 20090 times)

minirop

• View Profile
    • http://dev.peyj.com
Re: Maze
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:35:16 pm »
Standard maze?
he means "from any place to any other place there is one and only one path" (you can't go round and round in circles)

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 01:29:44 am »

he means "from any place to any other place there is one and only one path" (you can't go round and round in circles)

Some Levels will have different ways to solve the Maze.

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 12:39:03 pm »
It's released! Check the first post!

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 10:21:47 pm »
First of all; congratulations on finishing and shipping a game. Well done.

So, some feedback.
I installed it and played through a few levels. Below are my impressions.

1. The character moves very slowly. This annoyed me quite a bit.

2. I managed to pick up 27gold in the first level and when I then checked the shop I found that that was not even close to enough to get any of the upgrades. Realizing that I'd have to play a level maybe 10 times to get even one upgrade was a major turn-off.

3. I never did manage to figure out what the round button with the footprints is supposed to do. It never did anything for me.

4. A map that shows the parts of the maze I've already explored, would be nice.

5. It was always a bit of a surprise to me when I completed a level. I never figured our how to distinguish "just another corridor I can walk into" from "this is where you go to end the level", so whenever I completed a level it was always a bit of a "ohh, I won. I'd never have known".

6. The characters walking animation seemed a bit clunky. His feet seemed to only move 2/3 of the time.

7. There doesn't seem to be much variation between levels.

In the end I lost interest after the first 3 levels (actually I lost interest after the first but played on to give it an honest chance).

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 05:55:25 pm »
@Jesper

Thank you for your constructive criticism.

1./2.
I increased the amount of the gold pickups a bit. At the end the game will have 48 levels and if i gave to much money the player have all upgrades already at the 12. level or so. Also ther is a "bonus" level, there you can collect realy much gold.

This round button with the footprints let the character move slower, because if you have upgreaded the move speed you will need it to past the traps.

4./5.
I think about a map, but still not sure if i want to implement it. Sure it will make it a lot easier for the player to solve the maze, but i want the game realy hard.

i will check it.

At the first levels its mostly the same, but at the higher levels i added other stuff like traps, doors and enemys.

Thank you for playing my game, i apologize that you dont like it much. I know that the game is extrem hard but i decited to make it so. I know its no game for everyone.

best regards.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 06:23:41 pm »
I'm glad you appreciated the feedback. I was hoping you would. That's why I spent some time playing the game and writing up my impressions :)

About 3; OK, that makes sense. But then maybe the button should not show up until the player has actually upgraded movement speed? Having it on screen and just doing nothing is confusing, so maybe only add it when it will actually do something.?

And don't apologize just because I didn't like the game much. Not everyone will like every game.
For what it's worth, I think it is well done. It's just not a game for me in its current form - but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it will appeal more to other people (and maybe me in the future, depending on how it develops).

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »
@Jesper

I thank you for your nice words. Its my first game and i keep developing and i hope my skills will grow with it, so i can make someday more realy cool games ^^

SFML is a good tool for it and the community behind is also great.

About point 3:
It is a good idea to show the button if the movespeed was upgreaded. Thank you i will change it soon.

I already started with a map and i will try how it will work with the game.

Thanks

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 11:04:21 pm »
Today i started with the pc port, also i added a minimap to the game.

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 09:55:32 pm »
- Now with a minimap
- minor bugfixes

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 03:33:11 pm »
What would you think about a remake with Unity? Would be available for many plattforms with better performance/graphics.

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »
Changing to unity won't magically increase performance or visual fidelity...

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 04:06:24 pm »
First, i hope my question isnt inappropriate. If it is i apologize.

I think in this case it would help, mainly because of the used sfml/android libary. My game does not run on lot devices because they are not compatible or have graphic problems. Also it would be easier for me to make the game in 3d with nice lights , shadows and effects.

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 04:16:22 pm »
No it isn't inappropriate ;)
I just wanted to point out, that changing the engine won't magically change performance(if you do the same!) and it won't enhance your graphics.
It could give you tools which make it easier to do though.
My point was that,if you stay with 2D you can get the same visuals in SFML as you do in Unity.

grimmreefer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »
I have to apologize, i did forget to write that i would make it in 3D. In the last months i learned/worked a lot with unity and blender and im realy sure i could make the game looking much better, runs faster and on much more devices.

I dont want to say its because of SFML, i mean i can work better with unity.  :-X hard line, i hope you understand what i mean^^.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 04:48:57 pm »
with better graphics.
game looking much better

Maybe better looking in a shorter period of time you may have better looking graphics, but in the end you will be limited by what Unity provides. Unity is great for prototyping and that is about it.

runs faster
with better performance

Definitely not, there is no way you will get better performance out of Unity compared to native compiled code. If you really think this then just...

Also don't expect people around here to be open and welcoming to something written in Unity, its just that it has a reputation.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:51:10 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor