Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Are you interested in becoming an author on SFML?  (Read 2553 times)

Richard_Packt

• View Profile
    • Email
Are you interested in becoming an author on SFML?
« on: September 11, 2014, 12:15:04 pm »
We at Packt Publishing are looking to produce an advanced guide on SFML game development, and are currently seeking potential authors. Laurent Gomila suggested that we open this opportunity up to the community here, so that we can find the best possible author to come on board with us.

The book will aim to create one complex project with SFML and, while doing so, teach advanced-level skills. Some of the potential topics that this book could cover include elements, handlers, rendering, animation, audio, manipulation, or creating multi-player environments. In total, we expect this book to be in the region of 200-250 pages.

Most of our writers are first-time authors, so please don’t feel put off if you’ve never written before. In addition, we’re open to having more than one author work on this book if you’d prefer to work with co-authors.

If becoming an author and writing on this topic is something that would interest you, please email me at richardb@packtpub.com. Alternatively, if you feel that writing a book is something a bit too much to take on, but you’d still like to be involved, you might instead be interested in becoming a reviewer for us. If so, please don’t hesitate to drop me an email.

All the best,

Richard.

Geheim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are you interested in becoming an author on SFML?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:52:44 pm »
Great idea! More books of SFML is a good step and it will surely help answering some common problems most of us have.
I would love to help with that, but I know that I am not experienced enough, whereas some others here on the forums really are :)

Best of luck with the book and finding the author(s), I am looking forward to it (and all the other books that maybe will come after this one ::))
Failing to succeed does not mean failing to progress!

Richard_Packt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:28 pm »
Thanks for your interest anyway, Geheim! We've got a few other SFML books in the works, so watch this space.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 06:00:15 pm »
I'm not sure, but do you think 250 pages will be enough for writing and explaining advanced topics? Or do I misunderstand the book's goal?

Richard_Packt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
250 pages isn't a hard limit: we're happy for the author to go over if they feel it's necessary. The book would be written for people who are already advanced novices or intermediate-level SFML developers – because of this, the book wouldn't cover the starting steps to using SFML. Without any "getting started" chapters, and the book immediately jumping into intermediate and advanced content, we feel this should be a realistic page count.

anything