Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: PyFe v2.0  (Read 3385 times)

PixelGordo

• View Profile
PyFe v2.0
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:53:07 pm »
I've been working in my free time during last year in an emulator game launcher called PyFe v2.0. At the beginning I was using pygame until I realised I needed hardware aceleration to work in HD resolution.

The main feature is all the graphical elements are based on a plugin system. So the general look of the application can be easily changed.

Here you can see a video of the program running:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:54:53 pm by PixelGordo »

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: PyFe v2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:31:48 pm »
Nice project! I wonder whether DOS Box will do this step one day. Playing "The Elder Scrolls I" via DOS Box without hardware acceleration is a huge pain - at least on slow machines as netbooks.

So: nice work, I like it 8)
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

PixelGordo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »
I didn't know that DosBox didn't have any kind of graphical aceleration. It's a shame but anyway I just use it for really old games. During the transition from 486 to Windows 95-98 I didn't have PC at all so I don't miss games from that era.

And glad you like PyFe v2.0 ;)

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »
I didn't know that DosBox didn't have any kind of graphical aceleration.
DOS had its prime in the 1980's/early 1990's. Accelelerated graphics was not even close to being on the table back then (at best it was someone's wet dream for the far future). Why would an emulator provide something that was not even thought of, when the software it tries to emulate, was written?  In terms of late 1980's software your 3year old smartphone CPU outperforms the target hugely, so no need to accelerate anything to provide a realistic experience (even if it has to emulate some stuff in software).

PixelGordo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:23:20 pm »
Even when the original hardware drew everything by software and the resolution was low, it would be great to have that advantage in the emulator. Of course there's no big advantage for 320x200, but maybe it could be helpful in games which allow VESA modes (thinking about Duke Nukem 3D now...).