Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SfmlExt: An extension to SFML using Thor and C++11  (Read 9543 times)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
SfmlExt: An extension to SFML using Thor and C++11
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:49:31 am »
Hi there,

during the last months, I was working on my Isometric Coop Rogue-like Game Rage, which is currently paused because of too less spare time. So I started reworking/refactoring the entier codebase. During this process I found some pieces of code which are solving several problems I faced during development. So I started to isolate those solutions to make them reusable. Finally, I decided to put those solutions on github and call this repository "SfmlExt" - because it seems like an extension - at least to me.

It requires C++11 (which should be wide-spread by now), works with SFML 2.2 and can be found here: https://github.com/cgloeckner/SfmlExt

Briefly, it's a set of functionality which is distinct from the current SFML release as well as from Thor. Currently, there the following "sub-projects" are included:
This list is outdated. View README on github for further details.
(click to show/hide)

So, stay tuned for future commits :o For updated examples view the GitHub repository!

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Kind regards
Glocke

/EDIT: (10.01.15) Major API Update (removed outdated examples from this post)
/EDIT: (21.01.15) Moved outdated feature-list (see spoiler)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:18:40 pm by Glocke »
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Mutoh

• View Profile
Re: SfmlExt
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »
Aw, no namespace? That is always nice having in libraries you want to distribute.

Also, in your second example code:

// load that archive
    TexArchiveReader reader;
    assert(reader.open("out.bin"));

Even if is just example code, I heard that it's not wise to put fundamental actions inside assert's, because in some compilation settings the entire assert line might be optimized away - and with it, reader would never open "out.bin".

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:41:47 pm »
Aw, no namespace? That is always nice having in libraries you want to distribute.
Yes, that's right! The code pieces are small and not really related to each other. So I don't see a necessary to introduce namespaces. But this might change in future ;)

Also, in your second example code:

// load that archive
    TexArchiveReader reader;
    assert(reader.open("out.bin"));

Even if is just example code, I heard that it's not wise to put fundamental actions inside assert's, because in some compilation settings the entire assert line might be optimized away - and with it, reader would never open "out.bin".
Well good point! I'm not quite sure whether the checking is the only thing that's "optimized away". If the entire expression is dropped, you're totally right! But maybe only the checking is optimized away. So the assertion might be replaced by the previous evaluation - without asserting it at runtime. If the expression is pure const, the compiler might also optimize it away... don't know how it's done, sry.

But thanks ;D

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »
assert()s are usually macros that are simply not defined in release builds, so they go away completely. That includes any code passed as arguments. So you should never put any code with side effects in an assert.

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:21:44 pm »
assert()s are usually macros that are simply not defined in release builds, so they go away completely. That includes any code passed as arguments. So you should never put any code with side effects in an assert.

Ok thanks! I'll change this soon!

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:15:01 pm »
Hi there!

I just pushed a major API change / repository cleanup to the repository. Here's a (brief) list of changes:

General:
  • seperation of example and testing
  • assert() is now evaluating real expressions (instead of method calls' return values)
  • added namespace sfext
  • added resources from "battle for wesnoth" (see README) to ship compilable examples with the framework
  • dependencies are now stated: C++11, SFML 2.2, Boost.Math, Thor

Image Atlas:
  • API cleanup: one public class for the entire altas generation
  • some internal improvements
  • updated, compilable example
  • seperate unit testing

Resource Caching:
  • a cache can now hold multiple resources of multiple types
  • resource archives are removed (at least temporarily)
  • updated, compilable example
  • seperate unit testing

Thanks for reading :) View the repository https://github.com/cgloeckner/SfmlExt for further details ;)

And thanks for your feedback (see red changes)

Kind regards,
Glocke
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:56:30 pm by Glocke »

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 07:27:50 pm »
And currently, I'm working on a tiling implementation. A attached an example screenshot.

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »
Any reason you use push_back in your atlas.hpp to add the chunk instead of defining a constructor and using emplace_back instead?

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:37:05 pm »
Any reason you use push_back in your atlas.hpp to add the chunk instead of defining a constructor and using emplace_back instead?

No, it's just laziness.. But that's a good idea! :)

/EDIT: But another solution (without defining a ctor) might be: emplace_back without arguments, calling back() to get the reference and than set the properties. Writing a ctor isn't really necessary, because there's only one spot where a chunk is initialized, and there is no RAII-critical data access.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:50:36 pm by Glocke »

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:18 pm »
I suspect a push_back(args) isn't all that different from an emplace_back() followed by thing.setArgs(args).  Probably shouldn't worry about it until you have profiler data showing it makes a difference.

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »
I only asked because emplace_back describes more clearly that he only wants to move a temporary into the vector, not for performance reasons  ;)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »
Hi, about that push_back/emplace_back: I'll think about it which fit's the code best!

Update on SfmlExt:
I just finished an initial tiling implementation. It's main use is to encapsulate common tiling operations like iterating all visible tiles - or briefly:
for (auto const & tile_pos: scene) {
    // ... render this tile
}

Here's a list of features:
  • Coordinate transformation (world <-> screen)
  • Range-based iteration (based on a fixed tile size and a sf::View used as camera to determine range)
  • Get a tile position's neighbors (which is different from orthogonal to hexagonal grids etc.)
  • Check a position whether it is valid (based on a fixed map size) - useful when working with neighbors
There's also an example you can check out! Again, everything is located at http://github.com/cgloeckner/SfmlExt (including compilable examples).

About the implementation and possible usage:
  • A range-based iteration can be used for rendering, where you want to access each visible tile position once. After iteration you can change the camera to e.g. render the second scene (e.g. for splitscreen) using the same tiling-instance.
  • The actual tiling approach (called "GridMode") is given as template-argument. I don't know of any usecase where the type of the tiling might change while runtime. Also compile-time polymorphism improves the speed of e.g. iteration, because the actual operator++ is determined at compile-tile. Currently supported grid modes are orthogonal and diamond-shaped isometric maps. Other maps (e.g. hexagonal or staggered isometric) might be implemented some day (I don't need them at the moment).
  • The example provides using different tiling modes in one application (just for presentation purpose). Maybe a splitscreen example using one mode will be written some day^^

Feel free to discuss about implementation or API details.

Kind regards
Glocke
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:52:03 pm by Glocke »

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:44 pm »
Hi, today I had enough time to finish working on a simple menu-gui-system. The commit was just pushed, so implementation and example code can be found on GitHub!

An overview:
  • A Menu class is used as context, widget container and widget factory.
  • All widgets appearance and behavior can be customized
  • Keybindings (including "Joystick-bindings") are available through thor::Action
  • Mouse support is not planned. The menu is designed as pure left-right-up-down-activate-styled menu
  • Currently "implemented" widget: button, checkbox, selectbox.

See the example code for further details! Feel free to feedback about this commit ;)

Kind regards
Glocke

PS: A screenshot of very simple menu example is attached.

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: SfmlExt: An extension to SFML using Thor and C++11
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 05:49:10 pm »
Meanwhile, initial implementations for a context-related state machine / application wrapper class and a blueprint for logging mechanics with support for various SFML-types (like Vector2<T>) has been finished.

Feel free to feedback ::)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: SfmlExt: An extension to SFML using Thor and C++11
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 07:11:42 pm »
Today, I added an initial implementation for audio fading. The fading is determine by two lambda functions (for fading in and fading out) which can be modified during runtime.

There's a MusicManager class which is able to fade between two music track just by triggering another one to be played! Full commit can be viewed here. The code is currently out of comments - this will be fixed soon! :)

A runnable example is located at the github repository. But here is "fader in a nutshell" - hope you like it!

#include <SFML/Window.hpp>
#include <SFML/Audio.hpp>

#include <SfmlExt/fader.hpp>

int main() {
        auto t = sf::milliseconds(50);
        sfext::MusicManager manager;
        float volume = 100.f;

manager.play("data/wesnoth.org/battle_edit.ogg");

while (true) {
                if (sf::Keyboard::isKeyPressed(sf::Keyboard::Return)) {
                        // fade-in / cross-fade
                        manager.play("data/wesnoth.org/battle_edit.ogg");