Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Huitzilopochtli  (Read 3202 times)

Slin

• View Profile
Huitzilopochtli
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:32:36 pm »
I'd like to show our game Huitzilopochtli which we created as a team of 3 artists and two programmers during the InnoGames Game Jam 9 on one weekend. We used plain SFML and Box2D with no prior SFML experience. We used CLion as IDE which uses cmake files for project management.
It was developed on OSX and Windows, but only got the Windows build working for the game jam.

In Huitzilopochtli all you have to do is press the arrow button indicated on the screen, getting faster over time. If you press the wrong button or are too slow you lose a life and the game is over after all your lives are gone...

I got it to work on OSX and linux the day after the game jam, you can find the three versions on the game jams game website: https://gamejam.innogames.com/jams/innogames-game-jam-9/75/
Since this is still very much the party version, there are some layout and physics issues with non standard screen resolutions, which I already fixed for the iOS version.

Since someone proposed that it may make a nice small mobile game I also ported it to iOS yesterday and spent some time to make it work on tvOS today.
I plan on putting it on the Appstore (as free game), but there are still s few smaller issues that I'd like to fix first.
If you'd like to try the iOS version, feel free to send me the email address you use for your iTunes account and I can invite you to the Testflight beta.

I wrote a blog post about what I did to make it run on the different platforms: http://slindev.com/wvz034

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:42:20 pm by Slin »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Huitzilopochtli
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »
Those images don't fit onto the forum  :(
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Slin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:24 pm »
Sorry about that. I hoped it would scale them down, I did so myself now. They got a bit small but whatever...

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:56:23 pm »
Looks nice.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »
Tried it on Windows - works rather well. Also compiled for Android and it kinda works (except controls are broken of course).

Few things I've noticed:

- You forgot to add "${SFML_DEPENDENCIES}" to CMake's target link libraries. You won't notice that with shared SFML, but static SFML won't compile that way.

- The game doesn't adjust its screen based on aspect ratio. On my desktop (16:9) the stage text on the top right was partially outside the screen. On Android things are worse. :)

- Asset loading feels inconsistent. You've also got some kind of helper to retrieve a base path, but it's not used everywhere I think and you should move the "assets/" portion of the path to the base, since it has to be omitted for Android.

- You install the compiled binary to the "bin" sub directory, but on Windows the executable has to sit right next to the assets folder.

- You should try to handle all input through events (IMO). It's the cleaner and more efficient strategy. Right now your event loop only handles the window closed event, which is a bit odd.

Slin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:56:50 am »
Hey Mario,
thanks for the feedback!

- Controls and screen issues should be fixed already in my local version and also on github (https://github.com/Slin/Project-Sacrifice).
There is still some bug with the controls getting into a bad state though, but I didn't look into it yet.

- The asset loading base path thing was only needed for OSX so far and since it successfully loads all assets I am quite confident that it is used in all the right places.

- With the "bin" subdirectory you are talking about what the cmake project does? For development we just set a working directory in the IDE. I like the idea of having something like the bin folder, but ideally it would also copy the assets in there.

- In terms of having everything in once place I admit that handling the input through events is cleaner, but in terms of understanding the code using the input I kinda prefer the current way. Also since we created the game within a very short deadline it was just more straight forward the way it is.

I really appreciate you giving it a try on android and looking into the code :)

anything