Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Slimey Carnage (alpha)  (Read 19522 times)

thebwainz

• View Profile
Slimey Carnage (alpha)
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:22:27 pm »
Link to new thread: http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=20974.0

-----

About

Slimey Carnage is a skill-based platformer for 1 to 4 players (single player and local multiplayer).

There are 6 standard worlds and 1 bonus world to be traversed. Each world has a dozen levels and introduces a new unique theme and new traps/enemies.

Controls

Players can use a controller (players 1-4) or the keyboard (player 1).

Key bindings can be found in the options menu.

The game was tested with an Xbox controller. Other controllers may or may not work (but should).

Screenshots

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

That's it

What do you think of the game? If you have suggestions or discover any bugs please let me know :)

PS: Multiplayer is largely untested but will probably work.

Updates

23 Feb 2016
v0.1.1.0 alpha
  • Fixed severe bug that would cause movement jerks and unprecise controls
  • Updated player physics (adjusted movement speed and acceleration, improved air and ground friction)
  • Reworked all levels to account for new player physics. Also made them easier.
  • Fixed some bugs

08 Mar 2016
v0.1.2.0 alpha
  • Added world 5: The morass! Screenshot:
    (click to show/hide)
  • Fixed level exploits
  • Last playable level now unlocks properly
  • Visual improvements (shaders, particles mainly)
  • Bug fixes

21 Mar 2016
v0.1.3.0 alpha
  • Added the final standard world: Strange Depths! Screenshot:
    (click to show/hide)
  • Changed some key bindings (keyboard)
  • Particle system update! All particles now properly move and fade out smoothly
  • Adjusted volume for some sounds
  • Updated several levels
  • Bug fixes as always

25 Mar 2016
v0.1.3.1 alpha
  • Prepared for release that contains the final campaign world
  • Added some juice! (e.g. explosions and hard impacts will cause the camera to shake!)
  • Quality of life changes, visual improvements, and bug fixes

05 Apr 2016
v0.1.4.0 alpha
  • Added the final campaign world (the one that's unlocked via bonus pickups)! Screenshot:
    (click to show/hide)
  • Game progress is (or rather: can be) saved more frequently now. Check out the new options menu tab for details.
  • Fixed layer/object draw order
  • Fixed player spawn point when killed
  • Fixed some audio files' replay gain info
  • Replaced world 1 (Sky Temple) ambience with a better, less annoying one ;)
  • Random bug fixes and visual improvements

07 Apr 2016
v0.1.4.1 alpha
  • Fixed vsync/fps settings bug
  • Made adjustments to the following levels (made them much fairer): 4-6, 5-4, 5-8, 5-9, 5-10, 6-5, 6-7, 6-9, 7-5, 7-10. Note that a few traps have been exchanged and moved.
  • Bomb trap: Decreased time its lethal explosion hitbox stays active; decreased lethality range (explosion visuals are unchanged)
  • Spike trap: Increased both activation and deactivation speed (activation speed is much higher though); there are now different sounds for activation and deactivation to account for the new speeds; increased cooldown from 1s to 1.75s; fixed bug where the trap would initially (before the first activation) be on cooldown;
  • Pendulum: Made its hitbox smaller to better fit the visuals

09 Apr 2016
v0.1.4.2 alpha
  • Fixed instant death when moving outside the screen: You can now move up to 1 tile outside the screen without getting killed.
  • Added an ending sequence when beating the game! The sequence can be repeatedly played by beating the last level.
  • Updated a few audio files that were supposed to be updated in previous versions. Now all music/ambience is up to date.
  • Fixed a couple of bugs
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:34:56 pm by thebwainz »

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slimey Carnage
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »
I really liked it, death sound is satisfying, menu is very nice and looks clear and polished.
But I only could play few Sky Temple levels before it got too hard, skill based is not my kind of platformer. :-\
Were you inspired by meatboy, jelly escape or boshy at all?
Can you say a bit more about how did you make it?
What libs (other than SFML and physfs) did you use, did you write own collision, where do you want to take the development, what map editor did you use, etc?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:38:35 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

iride

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:54:56 am »
Amazing.

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:08:21 am »
I guess even though I've only played it for a few minutes a long time ago, Super Meat Boy inspired me because the gameplay (room based game, avoid traps and enemies etc) is kind of similar. I'm not familiar with the other games.

The current version only uses SFML and PhysicsFS, as you mentioned. Everything else is self-written (collision, text handling, audio system, etc). The maps were created in Tiled and then exported into a custom class where the tiles and live objects are created. I used sfxr, bfxr, and Audacity to make the sounds. The music (which was made by someone else) was edited in Audacity and is also live-edited in my sound system.

The plan is basically to complete the remaining worlds, then work on death match mode (custom levels where the players have to survive as long as they can) and a timed campaign (with leaderboards?).

I have to work on all that in my off-time, so it will take some time. I plan on releasing new versions on a weekly basis, which will fix bugs and add new content
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:42:35 pm by thebwainz »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:25:49 am »
This is really great! :)

But I have to agree with FRex, after the first very few levels it already gets too hard.
Have you played this only with a controller? Because with a keyboard the movement is very twitchy. If you press a key for 10ms longer than you should, you've already crossed like 2 tiles or so.

Unless you wanted to create the game for super platformer people, I suggest you give it to a few friends and get some feedback on what is too hard. Also test both keyboard and controller.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:10:16 pm »

After I posted v0.1.0.0 alpha (the initial public version) I actually stopped working on the game completely and moved on to another project. Now that I've had an almost 2 moth break from the game, I decided to resume developing it, even though I've received little to no player feedback :/

I've already fixed a couple of bugs and exploits, and also created new traps for world 5 (whose theme is also largely finished by the way).

Because with a keyboard the movement is very twitchy. If you press a key for 10ms longer than you should, you've already crossed like 2 tiles or so.

I've experienced something similar on some occasions (very rarely though). I suspect there's a bug somewhere in my input system which I will look into hat causes that behavior. The new version will also have adjusted player physics (mainly air acceleration) that may straighten that unwanted behavior out.

Have you played this only with a controller? [...] Also test both keyboard and controller.

It's weird you are saying that because I tested the game mainly with the keyboard. It'd be great if you (and other people) could give the game another try once I release the new version sometime this week (probably weekend) with the reworked physics.

Fun fact: Multiplayer is 100% untested because I only have 1 controller :). Has anyone tried it yet?

But I have to agree with FRex, after the first very few levels it already gets too hard.

I'm absolutely willing to make the levels easier. The problem is that I only hear from people that "it's too hard" without them pinpointing exactly what is too hard.

Could you perhaps tell me at what point (what level) it gets too hard, and why?

World 1 (Sky Temple) is kind of a tutorial that aims at teaching basic stuff. For example:

1-1: Move and simple jump over  spikes & chasm
1-2: Same as 1-1 and introduces double jump
1-3: Same as above, only more difficult
1-4: Important mechanic: Forces the players to let themselves fall and then utilize the double jump to cross the gap
1-5: Nothing new, just more difficult
1-6: Forces use of mechanic learned in 1-4
1-7: Standard platforming and use of mechanic learned in 1-4
1-8: When taking the bonus pickup path, teaches the player to mind air acceleration / keep balance in the air (steer left/right)
1-9: Similar to 1-8, harder
1-10: Use of learned stuff (mainly 1-4)

Would love to hear your opinion(s) on this

Ironbell

• View Profile
    • Cendric
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:21:25 pm »
Nice game, I like the graphics and the menu  ;). I struggled myself through until 2-6. (Hard game, eh :) )

I'm absolutely willing to make the levels easier. The problem is that I only hear from people that "it's too hard" without them pinpointing exactly what is too hard.

Could you perhaps tell me at what point (what level) it gets too hard, and why?

World 1 (Sky Temple) is kind of a tutorial that aims at teaching basic stuff.

The "Tutorial" got easier after I've read your hints. But I also have to say that your game is too hard and I hope I can give you some hints about *why* I think so.

• The ooze moves very fast, giving the player (too) little time to react.
  • Player inputs are processed as "all or none", there is no chance in dosing how much you want to move. If I press a key only for a very short time, I expect my slime to move only a little bit. It seems to me like a sudden impulse, adding velocity to the slime. If you do so, try adding acceleration instead for the time a player presses a key for moving left / right.
  • Walls and the ceiling kill the player instantly. Why? This is not intuitive. Try adding a spikey border to show how dangerous these walls are?
  • Many jumps aim for exact timing. Maybe looking at my first point would make this seem more fair to the player.

I hope that helps a little bit :)

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:05 pm »

• The ooze moves very fast, giving the player (too) little time to react.
  • Player inputs are processed as "all or none", there is no chance in dosing how much you want to move. If I press a key only for a very short time, I expect my slime to move only a little bit. It seems to me like a sudden impulse, adding velocity to the slime. If you do so, try adding acceleration instead for the time a player presses a key for moving left / right.
  • Many jumps aim for exact timing. Maybe looking at my first point would make this seem more fair to the player.

The new version will have adjusted physics. By the way, I already use acceleration (air and ground acceleration currently have the same values but that will be changed); it's just that it's too high (which means the player will be at maximum speed very quickly... too quickly).

I will definitely change the values because the criticism is 100% legitimate. Though I'll have to see how tricky that gets since I'll have to redo quite some levels to account for the new physics.

• Walls and the ceiling kill the player instantly. Why? This is not intuitive. Try adding a spikey border to show how dangerous these walls are?

I'll think about that. I'm afraid it's going to look terrible (visually) but I'll see what I can do. Maybe a very subtle spikey border.

I hope that helps a little bit :)

Yes! You raised good points.
Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:19:33 pm by thebwainz »

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 01:23:15 pm »
Update!

23 Feb 2016
v0.1.1.0 alpha
  • Fixed severe bug that would cause movement jerks and unprecise controls
  • Updated player physics (adjusted movement speed and acceleration, improved air and ground friction)
  • Reworked all levels to account for new player physics. Also made them easier.
  • Fixed some bugs

This update fixes a lot of bad stuff people had issues with.  Give it a try, it almost feels like the game is a completely different experience now!

This will wipe your save file, but it'll be worth it :)

The content update will follow this weekend.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »
Your version history on your site is kind of confusing, since it lists the old versions first and the download just says "latest version" which isn't very clear either. ;)
——————————————————————

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 03:42:06 pm »
Your version history on your site is kind of confusing, since it lists the old versions first and the download just says "latest version" which isn't very clear either. ;)

Improved it. Should be clearer now!

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:18 pm »
It's good that you've put up a video of the game; it allows it be seen much more easily. You should add it to your original post (embedded - see below)
It looks pretty good - pretty solid. Is the "stuttering" of the player in the game or because of the recording?

If you change your YouTube link to just "http" from "https", it'll embed it into your post ;)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

thebwainz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:02 pm »
It's good that you've put up a video of the game; it allows it be seen much more easily. You should add it to your original post (embedded - see below)
It looks pretty good - pretty solid. Is the "stuttering" of the player in the game or because of the recording?

If you change your YouTube link to just "http" from "https", it'll embed it into your post ;)

Yeah, it's due to my crappy PC. There's no stuttering in the game. Try it for yourself, it runs smoothly :)

I'll record a better video later and add it to my original post.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 09:56:56 pm »
Did you just...delete your post with the video?
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 11:05:10 pm »
Just played the new version and I've to say the controls feel A LOT better and the first levels are really good now. Even the one (IMHO) a bit more tricky level at the end of the stage feels great, more like puzzle solving and not just frustration because the player is uncontrollable. :)

Will definitely spend some time with this game.
——————————————————————