Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Blind Jump: Space Themed Adventure Game with Roguelike Elements  (Read 29159 times)

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
Blind Jump: Space Themed Adventure Game with Roguelike Elements
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:06:29 am »
Blind Jump is a procedurally generated space themed adventure game that I've been developing with SFML over the past few months, and now It's progressed to a point where I wanted to share some pictures and videos of it and maybe get some feedback from other people who like making games.

The object of the game is to navigate a series of randomly generated waypoints while fighting enemies and collecting items.

Gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRcmj-kvgc

Screenshot:

Enemies (so far):

Drone: Wanders around and shoots sometimes, fairly weak.

Critter: Chases you.

Valkyrie: Dashes back and forth and fires projectiles.

Turret: Rapidly Fires patterns of projectiles.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:54:05 pm by Evan Bowman »

Tukimitzu

• Anti-Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Jump: Space Themed Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:42:19 am »
Nice! Good job so far. Reminds me of Risk of Rain, if it was played from a 2.5D perspective.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:21:44 am »
Looks neat. If you change the YouTube link from https to http it will even be embedded directly.

Edit:

At 1:02 there's a z-ordering problem, i.e. the player sprite is on top of the enemy despite the enemy being in front.

What I'm personally missing is some sense of depth for the projectiles. While a drop shadow might be odd for them, how about adding some glow that's reflected by the ground (i.e. a colored shadow)? This way it would be easier to properly judge projectiles' positions more easily.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:24:55 am by Mario »

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:22:45 pm »
Nice! Good job so far. Reminds me of Risk of Rain, if it was played from a 2.5D perspective.

Thanks! I've heard of Risk of Rain but never actually played it, maybe I'll check out out.

Looks neat. If you change the YouTube link from https to http it will even be embedded directly.

Edit:

At 1:02 there's a z-ordering problem, i.e. the player sprite is on top of the enemy despite the enemy being in front.

What I'm personally missing is some sense of depth for the projectiles. While a drop shadow might be odd for them, how about adding some glow that's reflected by the ground (i.e. a colored shadow)? This way it would be easier to properly judge projectiles' positions more easily.

Yeah it's in its pretty early stages so it does have some bugs. Have you run into z ordering before and had to solve it? Off the top of my head it seems like I'd want to push references to all of the sprites in the window to a stack, encapsulated with y-position and image height, and then sort it before drawing.

I actually have been thinking of adding a glow below projectiles, but haven't done it yet because I'd have to check if each effect if over a platform before drawing the glow (don't have to with shadows, because enemies and the player can't leave the platforms  :) ).

I appreciate the suggestions!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:34:13 pm by Evan Bowman »

Ztormi

• Web developer by day. Game developer by night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:52 pm »
Looks great!

I don't really see any relation to rogue though or any roguelike elements for that matter. I don't want to sound picky but seems like every other developer for some unknown reason wants to slap word roguelike on any game involving procedural tilebased levels  :-\

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
Looks great!

I don't really see any relation to rogue though or any roguelike elements for that matter. I don't want to sound picky but seems like every other developer for some unknown reason wants to slap word roguelike on any game involving procedural tilebased levels  :-\

Thanks!

I guess I didn't really go to far into the mechanics in my original post; the game also features permanent death and will require the player to do some sort of resource management, so I was referring to that as well. From the Berlin Interpretation it's only really missing the turn-based gameplay and grid based movement, but I guess a better description on my part would be "a space themed action-adventure game with roguelike elements". Fixed subject line.

Edit: I'm not really a professional game developer, just a college student who wanted to make a video game, so I guess I was less concerned with what genre I described it as. I agree that 'Roguelike' feels like a buzzword right now (or maybe it's just become a looser definition).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:29:37 pm by Evan Bowman »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Blind Jump: Space Themed Adventure Game with Roguelike Elements
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:45:27 am »
Looks rather playable. Nice work  :)

Naming-wise, just thought I'd point this out:
STAG = Space-Themed Adventure Game
 ;)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 03:33:24 am »
Looks rather playable. Nice work  :)

Naming-wise, just thought I'd point this out:
STAG = Space-Themed Adventure Game
 ;)

Thanks! Of course my plan for it is to be playable, but I don't know much about game design so I've just been trying make something that I enjoy playing, and hope that that translates into it being fun eventually.

Also some people mentioned a lack of depth on the projectiles, but when I added under-glow to the effects it looked out of place without a more full featured lighting system, so I ended up going further with light sources than I had originally planned. But I think with some more work it has the potential to look really good (the lighting looks ok now but it could be more evenly distributed. I've been reading about poisson disc scattering, maybe that's the solution I'm looking for for light sources). Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/x-eCuS2aU90
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:40:14 am by Evan Bowman »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »
I see you got the lighting idea working. Excellent!
I think the transporter should glow when used too  ;)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 01:29:32 am »
I see you got the lighting idea working. Excellent!
I think the transporter should glow when used too  ;)

Yeah I agree with the transporter glow thing, currently it just glows all the time, but the beam itself should cast a glow as it appears and also upon entry to the next level.

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 05:13:14 am »
I've made a lot of progress this past week, and thought I'd share! Drew some new item designs:

I've also updated the original post with new images and information. Reactions? Any suggestions?

New video coming soon demonstrating the pathfinding, updated UI, more detailed map generation, and item placement (probably)!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 12:48:28 pm »
Nice! Like the art. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 05:08:39 pm »
Nice! Like the art. :)

Thanks!

Here's a little preview:
Edit: This was mostly to show efficiency of the pathfinding I wrote, in actuality the game places a lesser number of difficult enemies rather than swarms of smaller ones.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:47:37 pm by Evan Bowman »

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 06:36:05 pm »

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 11:14:22 pm »
I know it's not that different what others have already said, but, I absolutely love how the game looks.

That smooth-pixelated look is just awesome.

anything