Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Amsale  (Read 10513 times)

Hyden

Amsale
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:25:11 pm »
Hello, my name is Hyden. I'm developing Amsale, a skyview game where you manage a colony on the alien planet, Zeus. Currently, the game is in a very early stage of development. In the theme of Zeus (the Greek god of the sky and the lightning) the planet will be cold, stormy and lifeless.

Below are all versions of the game with the latest at the top.

Amsale 1A (https://www.dropbox.com/s/sj23nnhtixolqkw/Amsale.rar?dl=0) - Basic sprites, basic building mechanics, moveable character, basic collision. - 2 days of development.

Amsale 1B (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hmevs4oqeqofbw/Amsale%201B.rar?dl=0) - Fixed jumpy movement, can't place objects where player is, game doesn't randomly crash. - 3 days of development

Amsale 1C (https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0iotllrv5y6161/Amsale%201C.rar?dl=0) - Redid all the code, added in game stats, etc

Project started on the 23rd of March, 2016.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:22:03 am by Hyden »

AFS

• View Profile
Re: Amsale
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 11:24:44 pm »
I couldn't run it, I got a message saying that "libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll" was not found. That probably is not the only .dll missing, so make sure to include everything.

Also, it would be nice if you could include some images, even if the graphics are just placeholders, mostly to see how your project evolves later on ;)

Hyden

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:36:33 pm »
Sorry, I've uploaded the download link and I'll add screenshots soon.

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:38:23 pm »
Sorry, I've uploaded the download link and I'll add screenshots soon.
Oh noes! I'm so curious but when i start the game all i see is a basic black window with a flashing cursor !!! :(

Hyden

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:27 pm »
Right, clearly there's an issue so I'll take a look at it and post again when I work out what's wrong.

Hyden

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:58:44 pm »
Alright, I've added a new link, I'm hoping this will fix any problems.

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 12:02:20 am »
It works!!!

Hyden

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 12:07:44 am »
Woooo! Thanks for trying it! Can you post your opinion and any suggestions so far?

foxhunter12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 12:08:06 am »

Works now! Movement is a bit jumpy, every 1 second or so he skips a beat and pushes a bodylength forward. I like it though.

A couple of other glitchy things (I know it's 2 days development, but just so you can fix  ;)) are that the player collision box can't walk through a 1x1 square.

Also when you place stuff inside of you, you get stuck, you should probably make it so that the player is moved out of it slowly or quickly, whatever.

Lastly, the game crashed randomly the first time running after around 15 seconds. All I did was place some generators and alt+tab to check something, when I clicked back and tried resizing the window and then alt-tabbed again, it crashed. I'm not sure why at all, but hey, could be a Windows 10 thing.

Overall great concept and awesome quick-work on it. I suck at collisions so it's crazy seeing you whip that up so quickly. Good luck!

foxhunter12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 12:09:26 am »

Works now! Movement is a bit jumpy, every 1 second or so he skips a beat and pushes a bodylength forward. I like it though.

A couple of other glitchy things (I know it's 2 days development, but just so you can fix  ;)) are that the player collision box can't walk through a 1x1 square.

Also when you place stuff inside of you, you get stuck, you should probably make it so that the player is moved out of it slowly or quickly, whatever.

Lastly, the game crashed randomly the first time running after around 15 seconds. All I did was place some generators and alt+tab to check something, when I clicked back and tried resizing the window and then alt-tabbed again, it crashed. I'm not sure why at all, but hey, could be a Windows 10 thing.

Overall great concept and awesome quick-work on it. I suck at collisions so it's crazy seeing you whip that up so quickly. Good luck!

Something else; I like the console for updating resources and generators, miners,  etc placed. Maybe you can make a pseudo-console ingame for displaying stats? Like press Q and a fake console pops up with stats of the game?

Hyden

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 12:17:48 am »
Thanks :) I'm not able to replicate what you mean by the jumpy movement and I don't understand what you mean by the player collision box going through 1x1 squares. I'll make it so objects can't be placed where the player is standing. I like the idea of implementing the stats via a in game terminal, I think I'll show the basic stats (power, food, metal and that) on the screen always and then have a way to open up a terminal to show more in depth stats like how many generators there are. Perhaps you are thinking of a terminal like the ones in Fallout 4?

foxhunter12

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 12:21:27 am »
Thanks :) I'm not able to replicate what you mean by the jumpy movement and I don't understand what you mean by the player collision box going through 1x1 squares. I'll make it so objects can't be placed where the player is standing. I like the idea of implementing the stats via a in game terminal, I think I'll show the basic stats (power, food, metal and that) on the screen always and then have a way to open up a terminal to show more in depth stats like how many generators there are. Perhaps you are thinking of a terminal like the ones in Fallout 4?

If I place 2 walls or generators 1 space apart (so there is an opening) and I try to walk through, I can't. As for the jumpy movement, I'm not entirely sure why it's only happening on my computer, how do you update movement? FPS or fixed timestep based?

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 12:30:01 am »
I think the game is in a too early stage to actually provide some feedback on (Altho Foxhunters points are valid of course).

By all means, keep the progress going and the thread alive! :D

Hyden

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 12:50:09 am »
Alright! You can now go through 1x1 gaps easily and the game no longer crashes randomly. The crashes were caused by clicking off screen, the game attempted to place a block in the array that held the tile map, however because it was out of bounds it crashed. Also, you can't place blocks on the player. I'm still trying to figure out the issue with the jumpy movement because I can't replicate it. The new download is up.

foxhunter12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:52 am »
Alright! You can now go through 1x1 gaps easily and the game no longer crashes randomly. The crashes were caused by clicking off screen, the game attempted to place a block in the array that held the tile map, however because it was out of bounds it crashed. Also, you can't place blocks on the player. I'm still trying to figure out the issue with the jumpy movement because I can't replicate it. The new download is up.

Awesome! I actually was developing a simcity clone in SFML one time with a friend (barebones) just to see what we could do and I had the same exact problem with placement. As I asked before though, how do you update movement? FPS based or using a fixed timestep?

anything