Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: best practice  (Read 2562 times)

lorence30

• View Profile
    • Email
best practice
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:52:56 pm »
hello, is it only alright to update an object outside the event loop?
since it doesnt have to do anything with events.

while(window.isOpen())
    {
        sf::Event e;
        while(window.pollEvent(e))
        {
            if ( sf::Event::Closed == e.type)
                window.close();
        }

w.update(timer.getElapsedTime().asSeconds());
        timer.restart();

window.clear();
        w.draw(window);
        window.display();
    }

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: best practice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:32 pm »
You can update an object whenever you like. Whether or not it makes sense to update an object at any given time (inside or outside the event loop) depends entirely on your program and the logic associated with the object etc. So the only real answer is "yes" and also "no" and "it depends"...

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 03:53:14 am »
Say you were to move w.update(...), a function not having to do with events, into the event loop. It may be updated multiple times, or not at all, which most likely isn't what you want. My understanding is that control flow only enters the body of the event loop when a valid I/O event occurs (such as a key press/release, etc.). If you have an object or variable that records keyboard states, then that would be a good candidate for updating inside the event loop. Otherwise I wouldn't really mess around with it.

EDIT: this is how I typically use event loops, inside some sort of wrapper class:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:16:32 am by Laurent »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 06:18:58 am »
this is how I typically use event loops
Leaving the InputManager handle the whole event loop is questionnable. What about non-input events?
And it's also not clear why you track key press/release events manually and not use sf::Keyboard/sf::Mouse.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:32:22 am »
this is how I typically use event loops
Leaving the InputManager handle the whole event loop is questionnable. What about non-input events?
And it's also not clear why you track key press/release events manually and not use sf::Keyboard/sf::Mouse.

First, I don't use sf::Keyboard/Mouse because they don't work reliably on all operating systems. For example, for a fullscreen sfml app running on a 2014 macbook air and OS 10.11, if the computer suspends, upon waking sf::Keyboard/Mouse become unresponsive, but events still work. Maybe this is an isolated incident, but I would still be apprehensive about using them.

Additionally, I am defining all events as input here. Events would not appear to occur if a user were not interacting with the host computer, or a process were not interacting with the application, therefore events are arguably input. But that's more of a semantic thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this; I don't see the issue with moving the event loop from the main loop to a function called at the beginning of the the main loop. There is no significant difference.

Also, isn't tracking the events manually objectively faster? At least better than doing a system call for key presses for every iteration of the main loop in the 30 odd places I need to know if a key is pressed. Additionally, having a class wrap sfml input functions makes it easier for me to add joystick support. Rather than check for a joystick button and a key press everywhere, I can handle that internally in a centralized location, and have the input manager's accessor functions correspond to the current selected input device.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:18 am »
First, I don't use sf::Keyboard/Mouse because they don't work reliably on all operating systems. For example, for a fullscreen sfml app running on a 2014 macbook air and OS 10.11, if the computer suspends, upon waking sf::Keyboard/Mouse become unresponsive, but events still work.
If you've found a bug then you should report it ;)

Additionally, I am defining all events as input here. Events would not appear to occur if a user were not interacting with the host computer, or a process were not interacting with the application, therefore events are arguably input. But that's more of a semantic thing.
Ok I see. What I had in mind were window-related events: resized, lost/gained focus, etc. But yes, they can fit in if your definition of "input" is "event".

I guess what I'm trying to say is this; I don't see the issue with moving the event loop from the main loop to a function called at the beginning of the the main loop. There is no significant difference.
There's no issue, it was just a design question :)

Also, isn't tracking the events manually objectively faster? At least better than doing a system call for key presses for every iteration of the main loop in the 30 odd places I need to know if a key is pressed.
It certainly is faster. But I doubt anyone will get performance issues with this stuff ;) At this level, it's better to use the cleanest/simplest solution (which is events for you anyway, because of the bug you explained).

Additionally, having a class wrap sfml input functions makes it easier for me to add joystick support. Rather than check for a joystick button and a key press everywhere, I can handle that internally in a centralized location, and have the input manager's accessor functions correspond to the current selected input device.
Yes, I never said it was bad to wrap SFML stuff ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Evan Bowman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 01:55:26 pm »
Also, isn't tracking the events manually objectively faster? At least better than doing a system call for key presses for every iteration of the main loop in the 30 odd places I need to know if a key is pressed.
It certainly is faster. But I doubt anyone will get performance issues with this stuff ;) At this level, it's better to use the cleanest/simplest solution (which is events for you anyway, because of the bug you explained).

Yeah I agree, I've found horribly inefficient old code while refactoring some things lately, but if I'm not careful about limiting draw calls, things slow down right away :)

There's no issue, it was just a design question :)

Sorry about that, I took it a bit too seriously.

anything