Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fastwriter : SFML 2.4 Game  (Read 2546 times)

Sysyfydev

• View Profile
Fastwriter : SFML 2.4 Game
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »
Hi everybody,

I want to share with you a game I made with SFML: Fastwriter. It challenges you to type as fast as you can while random words are dropping into the screen.

Controls
  • [Esc] - Pause
  • [A-Z] - Take a letter
  • [Shift] - Active Cleaner
  • [Space] - Active Shift Mode

Here is a screenshot
(click to show/hide)

The source code is hosted on github: https://github.com/Sysyfydev/fastwriter
And here is more info about the game: https://sysyfydev.itch.io/fastwriter

I hope you enjoy it because I had a lot of fun while I was making it. Also I learned a lot! I even didn't know what it's a texture :-X

Any kind of feedback is welcome!

PS. Sorry for bad English it's not my native language and I'm still learning.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Fastwriter : SFML 2.4 Game
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:52:06 am »
Hi and welcome!

Looks interesting. It's always good when games end up improvement real-life skills too!

Not sure of the mechanics of the game. I would guess at words falling from the top and pile on top of others so you must remove words before there is no more space, similar to Tetris. Am I close?

Just had a quick look through your repository on GitHub (not at everything) and noticed that, since your images of text are in English, "resumen" should be "resume".
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Sysyfydev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 05:07:16 pm »
Hi and thanks for the welcome!

Not sure of the mechanics of the game. I would guess at words falling from the top and pile on top of others so you must remove words before there is no more space, similar to Tetris. Am I close?
Yes you are but instead of "pile on top of others" when a word reaches the bottom line you will lose lives. Here is a video:

Just had a quick look through your repository on GitHub (not at everything) and noticed that, since your images of text are in English, "resumen" should be "resume".
Thanks for take the time to look at the repository I didn't notice it. I have already fixed it  :)

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:51:38 pm »
Seems like I can't check out your project to compile and try. You're using a file called ":.png", which isn't valid on Windows.

IMO it's a good idea in general to only use alphanumerical chararcters for your file names, just to be sure. :)

Edit:

Checked it out using my Raspberry Pi, renamed/updated the files.

Some files using std::string, std::array, and std::function didn't include the proper header files (string, array, and functional).

But besides that, seems to be working fine, although I consider the game pretty hard. :)

Oh and I had the feeling like the intro screen was misaligned and cut off in the middle on my 1440p screen.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:13:36 pm by Mario »

Sysyfydev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:48:48 pm »
Hey thanks for the feedback!

Seems like I can't check out your project to compile and try. You're using a file called ":.png", which isn't valid on Windows.

IMO it's a good idea in general to only use alphanumerical chararcters for your file names, just to be sure. :)
Fixed and thanks for the suggestion.

Some files using std::string, std::array, and std::function didn't include the proper header files (string, array, and functional).
Fixed (I guess... before and after the fix I haven't had problems compiling)

I consider the game pretty hard. :)
I suggest you to use [Space] whenever possible ;) My current score is 2092 on Hard.

Oh and I had the feeling like the intro screen was misaligned and cut off in the middle on my 1440p screen.
Fixed :)