Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

Do you like Discord?

Yes
20 (83.3%)
No
1 (4.2%)
Indecisive
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Discord Anyone?  (Read 4351 times)

Lin

• Just another game developer.
    • View Profile
Discord Anyone?
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:57 am »
Has there been any discussion about having an official Discord channel for SFML? I know a big part of this community is "if it's not broke, don't fix it", but even as a long-time IRC user, I find it easier to follow and use.

Side note: This isn't a topic for which is better or more secure overall, just if the idea has ever been tossed around.

Turbine

• View Profile
Re: Discord Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 02:52:59 am »
I don't know if there's enough people, let alone active ones.

Personally I can't help but feel the SFML deverlopers policy of keeping it a minimal media library, rather than a full on game one - is limiting it's appeal and applicability. There's many other tools which offer so much more, just in a different language.

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:36 pm »
Before having a Discord, I'd rather have a Slack. At least I wouldn't have to deal with voices. As far as I'm concerned, I don't see the benefits of a Discord/Slack over the IRC Channel.

@Turbine: Because SFML is not only for game. Is for multimedia. Can be a used as windowing system only, or maybe just the networking, or just the audio. It's not aimed for game but for multimedia in general. But you're more than welcome to propose features in the subforum and do pull request with a justification of the use case.
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:07 am »
Discord is nice, and especially a great way for voice communication. But for text I'd rather recommend using the already established IRC channel at chat.sfml-dev.org instead of further fragmenting the potential user base.

What are your issues with IRC? UI/UX?

Personally I can't help but feel the SFML deverlopers policy of keeping it a minimal media library, rather than a full on game one
Why do you mention that in a thread about Discourse? ;-)

Regarding active people: The daily user count in the IRC channel is between 50-70 users, from which ~30-40% are indeed active. That's really a high number for an open-source library IRC channel, and lots of work has been put into keeping/making it a nice place.

If there are issues with IRC, then we should address them. But if it's solely "I like Discourse better", then I fear that we won't change the current situation.

scellow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:29:41 am »
Discord or Slack are more that just chat or IRC clones

You can paste code / upload files / embed images etc, message history, web, phone, desktop, all the same, all functionality available, and BOT api is excellent, i was sceptical last year, but then i decided to give it a try, and i love it

Lin

• Just another game developer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:00:29 am »
Discord is nice, and especially a great way for voice communication. But for text I'd rather recommend using the already established IRC channel at chat.sfml-dev.org instead of further fragmenting the potential user base.

What are your issues with IRC? UI/UX?
I simply just like the Discord client much more :) It's very easy to keep track of who's talking, media is embedded, you can have quotes and code, and it's overall very pleasing to the eye. These are just my opinions, and by no means am I saying abandon the IRC in favor of it, but rather it'd be a nice addition. I think there are relay bots as well that will interface the two.

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »
And on Slack(don't know about Discord), when you reach the 5gb of uploads, you can't upload anymore things such as image, code, etc. unless you pay. So you fallback on third party services such as pastebin, imgur, hastebin, etc.. And we're already using those services with IRC at the same time, so I don't see any really benefits. And considering how easy it is to customize pretty much any IRC client to our liking, anyone can probably get the experience he wants.
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord