Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: rbSFML  (Read 138938 times)

vivo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: rbSFML
« Reply #300 on: March 01, 2013, 02:22:12 pm »
Sounds really interesting and most of all, useful!

Also the OpenGL extensions primary goal is not to be used for 3D really. Though it would be nice and cool. It's to allow you to extend SFML yourself in Ruby code like how you can do in C++ with sf::Drawable and so on.
I haven't tried any of that stuff, all I can say is, keep the good work  :)

wintertime

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 12, 2013, 08:30:09 pm »
Hi,

I started making a little game with rbSFML on Windows to practise Ruby programming and would like to tell a bit of my experience with it.
I followed the readme on github, but the clone command in there didnt work somehow, scrolling up and using the slightly different clone command provided by github worked. rake test produced some errors, but rake samples and later my program worked flawlessly - after I found out myself SFML should also be compiled with the Ruby DevKit.
What I noticed is that the .dll files don't get packaged into the gem and you need to copy them into the folder with your own Ruby files or add them to the path variable. I already had another version of SFML in the path from using it with C++ and Ruby would crash when it found that. It would be nice if you could fix this and put them into the gem such that Ruby gems can take over the work of fixing the path, as that would installation much easier when distributing a game. Or is that not possible and I should try rake static?

The documentation seems a bit incomplete, but after finding out the code actually exists I could just look at the docs on the SFML website for C++. It would just be a little less confusing if there was a notice that not all classes are documented.

The only thing I found missing in rbSFML, while using it, were the constants for the Text styles, for making it bold for example, but I could put a number from a SFML header in manually.

Oh and one weird thing was when I tried activating vertical sync for the RenderWindow. I printed the frametimes to the console and the program did go slower from waiting, but the cpu utilization did not drop when looking at the task manager like I had hoped for, so I commented it out. I dont know if this comes from rbSFML, its a normal thing with SFML or maybe just my graphics driver? Maybe I should try it again in C++.

Anyway, thanks for making it available. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:32:36 pm by wintertime »

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:48 pm »
The binding has a lot of shortcomings and has gone out of date. I want to work on it but have a hard time finding time for hobby projects outside my job. But I have recently moved stuff around so my weekends are free, hopefully I will pick this up again as the project is really important to me.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

wintertime

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »
I just wanted to say thank you again. I noticed the vertex array didn't want to accept changes to its data after appending to it (I guess thats one of those shortcomings you mentioned), but I managed to work around it so its all well. :)

anything