Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML and OpenGL ES  (Read 3543 times)

Kyle Katarn

• View Profile
SFML and OpenGL ES
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:00:28 am »
Hi everyone!

After weeks of programing we finally finished a project, which is supposed to run on a Panda Board (http://www.pandaboard.org/) but unfortunately I found out that SFML does not support the OpenGL ES interface.

Since the application just has to do some simple 2D tasks I asked myself how much time it would take to port SFML to the OpenGl ES Interface and how complex this task would be.

I read that the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification differs a lot from OpenGL ES 1.1 and think that a Port to Version 1.1 would be easier.

Another problem I have is that I dont have a Panda Board at home but maybe VMWare will help me to set up a real testing environment (a device that is restricted to OpenGL ES).

But still I have no idea if I should really try to port the entire library or just rewrite the application so it is compatible to the Panda Board.

Maybe you experts can give a hint.

Thanks in advance. Many thanks also to Laurent for his amazing work.

Katarn

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML and OpenGL ES
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:09:26 am »
Hi

SFML is currently not ready to be ported to OpenGL ES, but this will be one of my first big tasks after SFML 2.0 is out.

So right now I would say don't try to port SFML to GL ES, a lot of things will change soon.

read that the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification differs a lot from OpenGL ES 1.1 and think that a Port to Version 1.1 would be easier.

That's true. As far as I remember, GL ES 1.1 is based on GL 1.5, and GL ES 2.0 is based on GL 2.0 with no fixed pipeline (shaders only).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Kyle Katarn

• View Profile
SFML and OpenGL ES
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:04 am »
Wow! Thanks for your instant reply!

I'm happy to hear you already planned a port. So I will relax and wait for an update.
Maybe you can give a time frame for your work  :) ?

Greetings.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML and OpenGL ES
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:22 am »
Don't expect it too soon... this will probably not happen before next year.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Kyle Katarn

• View Profile
SFML and OpenGL ES
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:06 am »
Okay, thanks for the info =).

Maybe I will also try it when I got some time...