Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: python-sfml2 version 1.0 is available.  (Read 2815 times)

Sonkun

• View Profile
python-sfml2 version 1.0 is available.
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:48:41 pm »
A MORE RECENT VERSION IS AVAILABLE! HERE

Three weeks ago I opened a topic to announce my project; a python binding for SFML2. At the time, it was the result of my work last winter but in the meantime I had to go abroad leaving the project in its current state without releasing it.  It was out-of-date with the then current sfml2 development version but I wanted to release it before carrying on and updating it to the release candidate. Three weeks later here we are; the project is updated to the release candidate as promised.

Although I spent the last 3 weeks on working on the update there are quite a lot of thing I didn't have time to implement. I focused on the functionality part: the most important classes have been implemented.  Tests to check whether they do run well on all platform have been performed.

I consider this version  a fast release which comes with bugs and non implemented functionality, yet comes with almost complete documentation.

This time the binding comes with installers for Windows (something I didn't have time to make last time) and, like always, a Ubuntu/Debian depot for ease of installation. This depot provides many packages: sfml2-rc, the
binding and the examples for the binding.

I'm linking to the on-line documentation where you will find explanations about installation, the documentation and various script examples as well as explanation about the project, etc.

Bug-tracker: http://openhelbreath.net/python-sfml2/flyspray

The bug-tracker is temporarily read-only.  If you find bugs then please report them on the forum or via the issues tab on the github page, I'll add them.

Download and installation
Windows:

Download the correct installer and follow the instructions (you don't need to have SFML2 installed).

pySFML2-1.0.0.win32-py2.7.exe [1.6 MB] [Python 2.7] [32 bit]
pySFML2-1.0.0.win32-py3.2.exe [1.6 MB] [Python 3.2] [32 bit]

Installer for 64bits platform are not available yet, if someone need them, just tell me and I'll speed up.

Ubuntu:
The depot can be added by typing:
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sonkun/sfml
sudo apt-get update

The packages provided are:
  • libsfml2
  • libsfml2-dev
  • libsfml2-dbg
  • libsfml2-doc
  • sfml2-examples
  • python-sfml2
  • python3-sfml2
  • python-sfml2-doc
  • pysfml2-examples

Note that the examples package installs scripts that allow you to launch the examples with a simple command line.

Code: [Select]
sfml2-sound # run example 'sound'
sfml2-shader
sfml2-x11
sfml2-voip

pysfml2-sound         #run the same example but actually it's a script that uses the binding
pysfml2-sockets
pysfml2-spacial-music # not an official example
pysfml2-pyqt4         # not an official example
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:53:39 pm by Sonkun »
Interested in using SFML with Python ? Try out its Python binding!