Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Antialias on text  (Read 2080 times)

XtremePrime

• Just a lonely programmer
    • View Profile
    • ShadowzGames
Antialias on text
« on: April 03, 2016, 12:00:56 am »
I know there's probably like 10 of these topics already that ask about it, and the often solution is to just recompile SFML without text antialias, but why does it really need to be like that?
Why do I need to recompile SFML again (already recompiled it recently to work with TDM 5.1) only to turn off text antialias?

Saying that "It's not needed, most people wouldn't notice, etc", doesn't work in my case. I'm participating in the LOWREZ 2016 jam by Itch.IO, and I have to make a 64x64 pixel grid game, so I definitely need aliased text.

Is there currently any better solution to getting text rendered on the screen, other than recompiling or creating my own font class?

Thanks!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Antialias on text
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 08:42:52 am »
I know there's probably like 10 of these topics already that ask about it
So you already know that we didn't reject the feature itself, but that it's not easy to add (could only be an extra argument to the loadXxx functions, which is not ideal). You also know that glyph rasterization was improved and that it renders aliased fonts properly in most cases.

What I suggest is that you show us what you're doing (screenshots with/without anti-aliasing), so that we can see if your request is relevant or if we can find another solution ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:40:48 am »
I'm participating in the LOWREZ 2016 jam by Itch.IO, and I have to make a 64x64 pixel grid game, so I definitely need aliased text.
One solution is to use some form of bitmap text. It would certainly match the style.

Is there currently any better solution to getting text rendered on the screen, other than recompiling or creating my own font class?
May I suggest Selba Ward's Bitmap Text? 8)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

XtremePrime

• Just a lonely programmer
    • View Profile
    • ShadowzGames
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 05:52:27 am »
I know there's probably like 10 of these topics already that ask about it
So you already know that we didn't reject the feature itself, but that it's not easy to add (could only be an extra argument to the loadXxx functions, which is not ideal). You also know that glyph rasterization was improved and that it renders aliased fonts properly in most cases.

What I suggest is that you show us what you're doing (screenshots with/without anti-aliasing), so that we can see if your request is relevant or if we can find another solution ;)

Thanks for the info. Calibri looks nice aliased on low resolutions, but even that way, it would've only gone down to 8px, which is far too big for what I am looking for. So I did (indeed) need to create my own bitmap font to match the size of 5px (which is also quite big for a 64x64 screen :I)

Thanks, @Laurent and @Hapax! ♥