Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking for a newby partner(s)  (Read 12159 times)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a newby partner(s)
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 11:09:56 pm »
i can suggest to look at terraria http://www.terraria.org/

Why? Is this some kind of publicity? :)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »
i can suggest to look at terraria http://www.terraria.org/
Yes you can, but don't expect that this will be a project to work up to. It may seem easy on the surface and even easier with a team, but it's not trivial and needs a lot of knowlegde in C++ and on game design.

Also I'd suggest you better start at one point instead of discussion you dreams. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Acrobat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 11:19:20 pm »
i'm not taking a part in this project ;D
just someone mentioned they have 4-5 people, so i linked an interesting idea to start from (seriously space invaders for 4-5 people ?  :o )

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 11:24:40 pm »
Or they could pickup a small scale adventure/rpg where one could plan stats for character , weapons, buffs, enemies and implement them in some text file format.

Other could do the actually coding of making these systems work together, even two people. Then make people complement that rich content with graphics and sound.

It's at least something to show in the end ;D

Xenir

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 12:04:10 am »
PM sended, waiting for reply  :)

StevenC

• View Profile
    • Corona Soft Development Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:33 am »
i'm not taking a part in this project ;D
just someone mentioned they have 4-5 people, so i linked an interesting idea to start from (seriously space invaders for 4-5 people ?  :o )

It makes more sense to do a small project that has little chance of not getting completed. Besides, even with space invaders one could do a lot. For example:

1. Varying enemies with different AIs that increase difficulty as the level progresses.
2. Weapon upgrades, power ups, and all the special effects to go with it.
3. Boss battles
4. RPG concepts such as levelling up, attributes, etc.
5. Tower Defense concepts such as building turrets

Anyway, the idea is not to make space invaders more complex and drag it out, but if we have several people we might use the extra resources to make the game more interesting and there are a lot of ways to make a simple game more interesting.

-Steven

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 04:17:44 am »
I 'd say not to stick too much to space invaders, for a group like yours to suceed, you are going to need a lot of MOTIVATION and DYNAMISM between the group. I think those are the key, as the project leader usually keeps working alone after something, because others didnt feel motivated enough.

I think its kind of the same feeling a parent has towards his son :)

Discuss between yourselves what is the medium of everyone's decisions, do something feasible. An RPG is nothing special if you keep it simple.

When people say a RPG is tricky to make, its really about complex inventories, too many items to fill them, too many weapons and customizations, multiplayer perhaps.

Stick with me, if you had in your mind to start a RPG.

1 - Tile maps or sprite placement - Just use a premade editor and parse that file. Absolutely doable.
2 - Physics, add a basic quad collision system.
3 - Make easy to parse xml or anything else formats to specify your content
4 - Make a base entity, and derive it to player and enemy, and spawn some of those.
5 - Deduct hp, earn gold on kill

This may not seem a deep planning, but if you stay focused and work with your mind in place, each of the tasks is very doable in a few hours, depending also if you make wise choices on how to approach issues like the tile map format(thinking TMX as a good example for example, theres tutorials).

The numbers game is funny but once you do a few of those you certainly gain a lot of experience and something like becomes too easy for you, logically speaking. I bet you can do that game in 30 mins instead of 4 hours when you grasp the logic better :)

xethm55

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:44 pm »
Hi All,

I would be interested in joining this project.  I have an average knowledge of C/C++ and SFML and minor media(graphics, sound) skills.   Probably will not have a lot of time - a few hours a week - but it sounds like fun.

If needed I have a personal/private server with redmine (issue tracker, forum, wiki, news, files, documents, etc) and svn.

-Chris.

vebski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 09:42:24 am »
Hey, I would like to join group. For next 2months I have about 8h of free time a day, later its about 2-4 (starting second year of college - Computer Sience with Game Dev spec). I mostly code (C++) but I'm trying to do some 2D grahpics. Right now I'm working on Space Invaders myself.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:45:37 am by vebski »