Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML gamedev - few simple questions from a noob  (Read 1910 times)

siemieniaka

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML gamedev - few simple questions from a noob
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:17:28 pm »
First of all I want to welcome everybody, as this is my first post here, so Hello! I'm starting to learn C++ and later I want to use SFML for my first game, but I have few simple questions that matter be before I start using this lib.

1. Is this a good option for a person that doesn't want to go mainstream all out using Unity or UE4, just to start, practice and get going with some simple or a bit more advanced games like Shmups with lots of bullet script?

2. If I ever make a really good game in SFML can I put this game on Steam without any problems or I'll have to adapt the code for Steam platforms with some minor tweaks?

3. Do I need to somehow programme xinput into SFML game code or I can just use SFML joystick codes and use x360 gamepad with no problem from the start?

I know that some of you will take this question not seriously or even funny, because of the level they reperesent, but Google is not the best way to ask, because I'm looking for an answer from people that really use it, not reddit wizkids that only remade Pong and say they make games. Thank you for your precious time.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: SFML gamedev - few simple questions from a noob
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:11:33 pm »
1. Yes, that's definitely possible.
2. Steam is really just a store/downloader/DRM system for native programs. You can just write a Windows, Linux, or Mac program and publish it on Steam out of the box.
3. SFML supports Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers through the classic Joystick API on Windows (and equivalents on other systems), so they work out of the box. If you want rumble effects or analog triggers, you'll have to add xinput yourself (which is rather trivial to be honest).

siemieniaka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:43:14 am »
Thank you for your help and time :) Also I wanted to ask about that book is saw when I looked for SFML tutorials etc. It's called SFML Game Development. Is it good or ok, maybe a waste of time and money?

P.S. Can you make 2D Fighthing games in SFML?

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:17:10 am »
SFML isn't some limited framework or engine, it's really just a framework you can extend any way you like. The question is just how much work you'll have to do to get something done.

For example, it's pretty trivial to do some simple 2D game in SFML, because most of the things you'll need are already there in some form or shape. On the other hand, with significantly more work, you can also create full VR games with it, but you'll have to add  3D rendering etc.

So in short: You can do anything you can imagine, it's just a question of how complicated it's going to get, whether you know how to write it, etc.

For example, look at Zeran's Folley. It's a 2D fighting/platformer game, but it's not hard to imagine having limited areas and two player fighting each other.

anything