Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How can i transform my drawing into a 3d model?  (Read 2911 times)

moonbeamer2234

• View Profile
How can i transform my drawing into a 3d model?
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:01:50 am »
I have an isometric drawing of my character.(Front, Back, Left, Right, Bottom, Top) and its all shaded ect. Im not really sure where to go from here to turn it into a 3d character...Im thinking im gonna have to learn OpenGL but im not sure if theres a way to do this with sfml, or if im supposed to do this somehow within my drawing. Any help or redirection would be great ::)

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: How can i transform my drawing into a 3d model?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:07:06 am »
A drawing exists on a 2D plane such as a piece of paper. A 3D model is a collection of data that describes a 3-dimensional object. What you see as the "3D model" on your screen is still merely a 2D projection of the 3D model. If you want to make use of 3D models then you will have to grab yourself a modeling program and create it by hand. Many programs nowadays provide aides that help converting 2D mockups into 3D models by superimposing the 2D image behind the model you are creating. When you have your 3D model done you will need to load it into your game somehow. You will then need to use OpenGL directly to draw the elements that it consists of. SFML doesn't support 3D drawing so that is the only way to do it.

If on the other hand you mean 2.5D isometric view then you will have to draw your character in all the possible directions you can face in game and load a different image every time the character changes direction. This is possible using only SFML.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

moonbeamer2234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:05 pm »
Maybe this is out of my league(considering they probably have 30k worth of programs for this kind of thing) but im interested in creating models like square enix and pixar does. Kinda high def if you get what im saying.(FF, Kingdom Hearts, ect.) So for something like that do you think i should go with OpenGL?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:58:33 pm »
The only difference between the models you and Pixar make is the level of detail. They use more complex materials, more triangles per model, more advanced lighting etc. You can use e.g. Blender to create very detailed models that are actually commercial quality.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

kurasu1415

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:33 pm »
Just to clarify on what Binary said, OpenGL is what you will use to actually draw your model in-game. OpenGL is by no means a 3D modelling program. In a loose explanation, OpenGL is an API that takes pre-made models on screen.using your graphics card. For starters, you need to look into 3D Modelling, which is the process of making the hi-def models. The best free program for doing this is called Blender 3D. You can also look at Maya and 3DS max, but those cost money and are very expensive.