Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Beginnings of a isometric engine using SFML (YouTube)  (Read 4973 times)

Markku

• View Profile
Beginnings of a isometric engine using SFML (YouTube)
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:42:48 pm »

Here's my first effort with SFML: isometric game engine. Only basic map, collision and pathfinding for now, but it's still its infancy...  ;D

aBallofWin

• View Profile
Re: Beginnings of a isometric engine using SFML (YouTube)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:29 am »
Looks promising for something in the works! :D

Is the game laggy like it is in the video, or was that the recording software slowing it down?

Markku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:09 am »
Recording and conversion to YouTube format caused the slowdown. There is no game lag yet, it seems that SFML handles couple hundred sprites quite well. Also building 'radar' image is fast with SFML functions. Maybe pathfinding will have effect when we have, say, hundred moving objects... Let's see!  ;D

aBallofWin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:46:34 pm »
What are your plans for this? You making a game, or you releasing it as an engine for others to use? :)

Markku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »
Probably I'm doing a simple game with this first. I would like to see if I can implement a lot of F/X effects next, I really have liked some 2D games which have nice pyrotechnics... Not necessarily to direction of violence, more like eye candy. Colourful. I try first to make 3D particle animations and see if they fit this purpose...

I like making this because it is a crossover between two of my hobbies, computer graphics and programming. SFML is also very interesting and quite user friendly.

This kind of base would suit small RTS or simple action RPG. Depending how much "intelligence" I can  add to engine, I think I'll explore RTS with some autonomous units first. Good flocking is hard to do, so if someone has pointers, it could help. I think formation-based flocking constrains level design too much, but more intelligent hierarchical flocking may be too heavy here.

Let's see what happens, in this phase I can change practically anything...  ;D

Markku

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »

Small update. Cyclic animations and some effects added.

Looks like I'm polluting inside my game!  ;D

In addition to fires and blasts this enables animated scenery objects (like, say, windmill) etc.

SFML works still fine, but I have loaded so much images that I need to rethink my resource management.