Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Getting started with SFML and VC++ 2010  (Read 2870 times)

gotwood

• View Profile
Getting started with SFML and VC++ 2010
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:12:28 am »
Hello, I am new to these forums and I tried doing a search on the topic but couldn't really find anything useful.

I am taking c++ this semester and my teacher told me to try and familiarize myself with SFML. So I downloaded everything and was trying to follow the Getting Started Tutorial here

http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.6/start-vc.php

But the first steps do not work at all. You can't just copy the files in to those folders in VC++ 2010 (because the folders don't exist) and if you try and follow the steps to leave the SFML files where you want, and setup Visual Studio so that it can find them that does not work either. (it tells me VC++ Directories has been deprecated, and you can't click the ? for more information)

So if someone can elaborate on how to properly set this up for VC++ 2010 or provide me a link that explains how to set this up that would be great.

Anata

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:38:27 am »
Hello

look this

Bobomite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:51:21 am »
Also google or youtube sfml coder.

His tutorials were very complete in those first steps.  I followed his steps, took notes, and got SFML 2 up in VS2010 in no time.

http://sfmlcoder.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/building-sfml-2-nmake/

I'd also suggest going right to SFML 2, beta or not.  For one thing it works fine for me.  For another it's almost done, it's at 97% on the github milestone.  

But the main reason is if you learn 1.6 first you will need to un-learn a bunch of input functions and other things that you'll be better off just saving the trouble and going to version 2 to begin with.

Serapth

• View Profile
Re: Getting started with SFML and VC++ 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:16:27 am »
Quote from: "gotwood"

So if someone can elaborate on how to properly set this up for VC++ 2010 or provide me a link that explains how to set this up that would be great.

This elaborate enough? ;)

You will also need the VS2K10 compiled binaries, that are available at that link as well.

anything