Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Android/iOS "Soon"  (Read 37384 times)

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Android/iOS "Soon"
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 02:06:44 am »
Well now you're just ranting about stupid/ignorant people being stupid/ignorant.
Bah. :P I run into new lows on monthly basis so it's hard not to do that.

If someone chooses to hate all FOSS licenses, then they're choosing to never use any software they don't pay money for.
Closed program might come gratis, Unity without Pro, GM without GML, UDK(under 50k$ profit, rather risk free solution), IrrKlang for non commercial(and pricing schemes for commercial are very nice). And that's just for programming related, many people pirate Windows, MS Office, AutoCad, Adobe's software etc. and still hate on FOSS alternatives.

since many of them still think GNU/Linux is a command-line OS.
You mean it's not?  ;D ;D ;D

There is simulator: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/iOS_Simulator_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html but according to iforce2d/R.U.B.E. maker who deals with iOS a bit, you can't compile any code on your own actual device whatsoever without buying a license: https://www.iforce2d.net/rube/?panel=loaders

Maybe audio module should remain but have all loaders except direct samples be stubs that always fail? So that desperate people with SFML codebases can get their sound up. That or provide just ogg vorbis support inside SFML to not leave iOS people completely dry?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:19:46 am by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 02:25:20 am »
That's what I was afraid of.  Thanks for finding an explicit source on that.

Well there are other iOS applications with audio, so clearly there's some way to get it working.  If libsndfile falls through we may just have to reimplement the audio module using whatever Apple gives us.

I'm not sure why you bring up vorbis because whether a codec is unencumbered has no bearing on this issue.  The code in libsndfile that deals with vorbis is under LGPL, and we'd prefer not to reimplement that from scratch.  Same for all the encumbered codecs.

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 02:55:51 am »
clearly there's some way to get it working
I'm not sure why you bring up vorbis
;D

The code in libsndfile that deals with vorbis is under LGPL, and we'd prefer not to reimplement that from scratch.  Same for all the encumbered codecs.
Ogg and voribs come with reference implementations under BSD style license, I doubt libsndfile reimplements them, and neither would we. If libsndfile effort to get permissions fails we might be forced to, at least to provide bare minimum of just ogg vorbis and possibly flac(also BSD style) on iOS.

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 03:01:01 am »
It'd still be a pain to figure out how to adapt that implementation for SFML's internals, so let's just hope libsndfile works out and we don't have to do any real work.

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 03:07:51 am »
I'm not sure but I think only sf::priv::SoundFile uses libsndfile directly so it's not that big a pain, just need few people with strong C-fu to figure it out and vorbis and ogg are nicely documented.

let's just hope (...) we don't have to do any real work.
YES! ;D

jagt

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 03:25:57 pm »
After I wrote to the author of libsndfile he said that he would contact all the copyright holders (there seems to be a lot), and make a license exception that would allow static linking on iOS. I'm still waiting for news, so at the moment there's no audio on iOS.

Hi Luarent. Thanks for the feedback! It's good news to know. THe author of libsndfile is really cool too. If that works out it would be so great!

Gammenon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 09:43:00 am »
Is there any gross estimation of when will be released that Android/iOS support? I didn't find anything about  that.

Thanks in advance and for SFML!

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:00 am »
Is there any gross estimation of when will be released that Android/iOS support? I didn't find anything about  that.

Thanks in advance and for SFML!

According to Laurent, on the french side, you just have to wait a few days. A branch will be pushed on the public repository, then will arrive SFML 2.2 (few time later)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 09:48:54 am »
According to Laurent, on the french side, you just have to wait a few days. A branch will be pushed on the public repository, then will arrive SFML 2.2 (few time later)
True. However Jonathan (which is working on the Android port) is very busy so this might take a little longer than expected, but we'll do our best to push something to the repository, even if it's still not complete.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Gammenon

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 09:51:23 am »
Wow that's fast. Thank you very much guys! :)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2013, 10:03:18 am »
Any reason for not publishing the stuff you already have?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2013, 10:12:51 am »
Other than Jonathan being busy? No :)

He told me he just had to do one more modification before I can push the code, so it should be fast. Although the audience will be limited because it will only be available in a separate branch of the repository, we want to avoid being spammed with obvious bugs/lacks reports.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2013, 10:50:22 am »
we want to avoid being spammed with obvious bugs/lacks reports.
I see. Too bad for those who'd like to follow the development though. ;)

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2013, 07:01:45 pm »
Will there be tutorials? Are they already written?

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2013, 08:57:12 pm »
We probably only need some instructions on setting things up for deploying on iOS/Android. The rest of the API should stay the same, I guess.

anything