Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Redistributing the SFML 2.0 Download with Binaries  (Read 2322 times)

Xander314

• View Profile
    • http://sfmlcoder.wordpress.com/
    • Email
Redistributing the SFML 2.0 Download with Binaries
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
Some viewers of my blog and YouTube channel asked me if I could upload prebuilt SFML 2.0 binaries. What I was intending to do was upload the complete SFML 2.0 source from GitHub, but with the binaries added.

Having read SFML's license, it looks like I can do this, provided I leave the license.txt file in there. However, it would mean that I was also distributing binaries for OpenAL, libsndfile, FreeType, etc.

For example, GLEW is under the 2 clause BSD license which requires a copyright notice to be distributed with its binary. However, I could not find such a license. Laurent, how have you got around this when distributing the files with SFML? Do the license bits in the top of the extlibs/ header files suffice?

EDIT: Also, you say that SFML uses libpng, zlib, stb_vorbis and SOIL. There are no binaries or headers for any of these. Are they already linked to other external library binaries?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Redistributing the SFML 2.0 Download with Binaries
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
For example, GLEW is under the 2 clause BSD license which requires a copyright notice to be distributed with its binary. However, I could not find such a license. Laurent, how have you got around this when distributing the files with SFML? Do the license bits in the top of the extlibs/ header files suffice?

you must usually include the license when you distribute the sources, not the binaries.
But to be sure I could simply add a link to each library's license in the license.txt file (no need to copy the entire licences texts).

Also, you say that SFML uses libpng, zlib, stb_vorbis and SOIL. There are no binaries or headers for any of these. Are they already linked to other external library binaries?

SFML 2 doesn't use them anymore (look at license.txt file for an updated view of the external libraries).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer