Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Techniques For Animating  (Read 1146 times)

Strikerklm96

• View Profile
    • Email
Techniques For Animating
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:55 pm »
Note: When I refer to animation, I only refer to the tiled position of the texture coordinates
So I have implemented large portions of my game, including Animation, and some new strange questions have arisen. I have completed my own solutions to these, but there are probably better solutions which is what I'm looking for. So, what are some common ways animation deals with these:

1. Should an animation complete before accepting another animation, or should it drop what it's doing and switch? A setting i'm guessing.
2. Should an animation, when done, repeat or revert to a default state.
3. Should the controlling object be constantly telling the animator device what state it should be in, or should it just send a signal once, and update each time the state switches?

I solved these in my own way, but I wasn't that happy with my choices, and rather than experimenting more, what does a good Animation process look like?

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Techniques For Animating
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »
Note: When I refer to animation, I only refer to the tiled position of the texture coordinates
So I have implemented large portions of my game, including Animation, and some new strange questions have arisen. I have completed my own solutions to these, but there are probably better solutions which is what I'm looking for. So, what are some common ways animation deals with these:

1. Should an animation complete before accepting another animation, or should it drop what it's doing and switch? A setting i'm guessing.
3. Should the controlling object be constantly telling the animator device what state it should be in, or should it just send a signal once, and update each time the state switches?

I solved these in my own way, but I wasn't that happy with my choices, and rather than experimenting more, what does a good Animation process look like?

1. That's entirely up to the individual application. What makes sense for your app?  There's no way to give a definitive ansver to that. Many different solutions/options could be correct for any given program - pick what's right for you.

2. See "1.".

3. Depends on your overall design. There are many ways to "cut the cake" - what's right in your case "depends" and what's right in some other app may not be the same as in yours.

As for good animation classes. Take a look at the Thor Animations classes. They do a pretty good job of encapsulating general animation functionality (IMHO).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Techniques For Animating
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:34:26 pm »
That depends on the game logic you're animating. If it's interrupted to show another animation, then switch instantly; if the new animation can wait, then let it finish.

Same here: it really depends on what you animate. A looping animation like walking should repeat, while a one-time animation like casting a spell shouldn't.

When the controlling instance needs to know in which state the animation currently is, then there is no point of having an animator -- because that's exactly what the animator is supposed to do. thor::Animator accepts such signals via playAnimation() and will play the animation until finished or having new orders. In the meantime, it is constantly updated using update().
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything