Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Too many sprites?  (Read 8494 times)

LucasShadow

• View Profile
Too many sprites?
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:27 am »
So I am working on creating a very large tile-based map. Obviously, this requires quite a few sprites. Some of the code below:

int WorldXS = 100;
int WorldYS = 105;
sf::Sprite Tile[WorldXS * WorldYS];

Of course, I set positions and images for all of the tiles, and then draw them all. However, if I increase WorldXS or WorldYS by one more, it compiles, but the .exe stops working. This leads me to believe that SFML has a hard sprite limit of 10,500 sprites (WorldXS * WorldYS) ?

Roose Bolton of the Dreadfort

• Full-time Procrastinator, Part-time programmer.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Portfolio/Website/Blog
Re: Too many sprites?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:17:19 am »
Doubt its a hardcoded limit.. probably not healthy to a allocate 10,500 sprites at once though
Trying so very hard to finish at-least one project.

Watch out for the RAII police, they will get you.

www.bantersaurus-games.com

thePyro_13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:24:04 am »
How big's a sprite? They're supposed to be pretty lightweight, but a block of 10 thousand of them still takes up a lot of space.

Arrays must be located as one large block of memory. How much ram do you have? It's likely that you're just expending all of your available contiguous memory(google "contiguous memory" for more info).

Try replacing the array with an std::list and see how that turns out?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:26:07 am by thePyro_13 »

mateandmetal

• The bird is the word
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:10 am »
what about creating your array on the heap.. with new?
- Mate (beverage) addict
- Heavy metal addict _lml
- SFML 2 addict
- My first (and free) game: BichingISH!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:04:53 am »
int WorldXS = 100;
int WorldYS = 105;
sf::Sprite Tile[WorldXS * WorldYS];

Your lucky that you could compile that or better your compiler is enough kind to do so. You can't define an array without constant numbers. It should be const int. But s said before try to allocate them with new. The stack isn't that big.
Example: http://www.fredosaurus.com/notes-cpp/newdelete/50dynamalloc.html

unsigned int WorldXS = 100;
unsigned int WorldYS = 105;
sf::Sprite Tile = new sf::Sprite[WorldXS*WorldYS];
// Your code
delete[] Tile;

Since it's easy to forget the delete[] Tile; part or because of some exceptions it will never get called it's best to use RAII and therefor std::auto_ptr. Unfortunatly it's only in C++11 so you need one of the newer compilers.

Additionally if you don't move your sprites I'd recommend to draw them on a sf::RenderTexture (you'd have zo use SFML 2). And then just render that new texture every game loop iteration.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:29:04 am by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »
just a suggestion only create the sprites visible on screen. then depending on the game position, change their image and subrect if necessary.

Oberon

• View Profile
    • My Github profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:39:48 pm »
Since it's easy to forget the delete[] Tile; part or because of some exceptions it will never get called it's best to use RAII and therefor std::auto_ptr.
Never ever use new for dynamic arrays in C++ (see the C++ FAQ entry on Why should I use container classes rather than simple arrays?). Instead use an std::vector. With it, the above snippet could be rewritten as
unsigned int WorldXS = 100;
unsigned int WorldYS = 105;
std::vector<sf::Sprite> Tile(WorldXS * WorldYS);
// no delete[] or delete necessary

std::auto_ptr would cause undefined behavior here, as it uses delete instead of delete[].
Unfortunatly it's only in C++11 so you need one of the newer compilers.
Quite the opposite is true: It is old C++ 03 and deprecated in C++11 in favor of unique_ptr.

These are all basic C++ problems, I would recommend working through a good book on the language, before trying and struggling with SFML (That's just my advice, I do not want to offense anyone.)

bobingabout

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
Since you're working on a 2 dimentional grid, its also possible to do sf::Sprite Tile[WorldXS][WorldYS];
Not as easy to do that with vectors though...

Oberon

• View Profile
    • My Github profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »
With vectors you can do std::vector<std::vector<sf::Sprite> >, although in this case a 2 dimensional array has higher performance.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 09:31:59 pm »
With vectors you can do std::vector<std::vector<sf::Sprite> >
Or just std::vector<sf::Sprite>, and map the indexes accordingly.

although in this case a 2 dimensional array has higher performance.
Raw arrays should always be avoided, wheter static or dynamic. It's a widespread myth that doing things on a lower level (aka. as much raw pointers, manual memory management and re-invented wheels as possible) magically increases performance.

A general guideline for linear sequences of elements:
  • Automatic arrays: Use std::array<T, N> instead of T[N]
  • Dynamic arrays: Use std::vector<T> instead of new T[N]
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

bobingabout

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »
from what i gather std::array<T, N> variable; is just a new way of of writing T variable[N];

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 12:15:15 am »
is just a new way of of writing T variable[N];

Not at all, std::array is a class template with many advantages over raw arrays.
std::array has the same performance in release mode. But raw arrays have several drawbacks:
  • No value semantics. You can neither pass arrays to functions, nor return them from functions, nor assign nor copy them.
  • Implicit conversion to pointer to the first element, is sometimes unwanted
  • No bound checks in debug mode, leads to hard-to-track bugs
  • No STL-like interface with begin(), end(), size()
SFML Game Development:

Silvah

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 04:49:09 pm »
although in this case a 2 dimensional array has higher performance.
Raw arrays should always be avoided, wheter static or dynamic. It's a widespread myth that doing things on a lower level (aka. as much raw pointers, manual memory management and re-invented wheels as possible) magically increases performance.
It's not a myth, however, that when quoting out of context you can severely distort what was actually said and take advantage of that in order to "prove" whatever you want to.

Unless, of course, the fact that an array of pointers to arrays (which vector of vectors happens to be) is slower than a single array (which T [N][M] happens to be) is also a myth. But it's not, the former requires one more indirection to access an element than the latter, and the former is very cache-unfriendly, especially when compared to the latter.

Cheers,
Advocatus Diaboli

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 05:02:26 pm »
It's not a myth, however, that when quoting out of context you can severely distort what was actually said and take advantage of that in order to "prove" whatever you want to.
I didn't intend to correct the quoted text, but to give a general advice concerning the use of arrays. Because the sentence has a high tendence to be read like "arrays have higher performance than vectors".

Unless, of course, the fact that an array of pointers to arrays (which vector of vectors happens to be) is slower than a single array (which T [N][M] happens to be) is also a myth. But it's not [...]
Guess why I came up with the idea to use a one-dimensional vector and to map indexes ;)
SFML Game Development:

Silvah

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 05:35:12 pm »
I didn't intend to correct the quoted text, but to give a general advice concerning the use of arrays.
Well, one typically quotes a message when they want to refer to it somehow. If you didn't, why were you quoting it at all?

Guess why I came up with the idea to use a one-dimensional vector and to map indexes ;)
But that's error-prone. Wasn't error-proneness one of the reasons to avoid raw arrays? So why replace them with something that's only slightly less so? I'd rather use boost::multi_array or something similar instead of a vector with manually recalculated indices.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:37:00 pm by Advocatus Diaboli »

anything