Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Smoothing bug?  (Read 4227 times)

Voroz

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »
Hi, i have a problem. If i have smoothing enabled (default), then i will get a mix of the background color of the sprite, but it's set to not show! So i will get a line around my character which is the color of Magenta, instead of getting the color that is really in the background of my object.

Any way to fix this?

Breakman79

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:03 am »
The easiest solution would be to simply turn off smoothing but I believe you could also edit the graphic for the sprite and change your alpha color to something else that blends better.

Voroz

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:47:55 am »
yes i could use something that blends better, but that won't work if the sprite is moving, or if something moves behind it, or if the background has multiple colors. Yes it works to turn smoothing off, but then there is no smoothing on! :P. Will this be fixed in 1.6?

Spidyy

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:12:44 am »
Did you tried to round your coordinates to align them with the window's ones?

model76

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 02:19:04 am »
Are you using a color key for the sprite's background?

If you are, you could try using PNG images and have a true transparent background.

Voroz

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:56 am »
I use png images, how do i use a "true" transparent background? Yes i am using colorkey to set hidden color.

Breakman79

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:44 pm »
how do i use a "true" transparent background?

If you have the GIMP image editor, open your image in it.  Right click the background layer in the Layer panel and select  "Add Alpha Channel" if it isn't already on.  Then using the eraser with hard edges go around your image and delete all your magenta color.  Save the image and when the save option dialog appears, uncheck the box which says "Save color values from transparent pixels"  

Voroz

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:17 pm »
Thanks, that sounds like it could work, because atm i have a tree which is anti-aliased, and the edges looks good, but it has some "holes" in it which were filled with white color and added as alpha. The holes have the white line around the edges because of "Save color values from transparent pixels" then i suppose.

I will download the program and test out that option, thanks

Voroz

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »
Is it possible to add anti-aliasing in GIMP? I need both anti-aliasing and "Save color values from transparent pixels" in one program. Because i can't add anti-aliasing without the option "Save color values from transparent pixels". Then i will get a white line. :/

model76

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »
What is "Save color values from transparent pixels"?
Is it a setting in Gimp? If so, I can't help, because I never got along with that program very well, sorry.

I normally just use Paint.net because it is quick and easy. If I want to do anti-aliasing, I draw the sprite with the anti-aliased drawing tools, or if I already have a sprite, I just do it by hand, as that usually gives the best result, in the end.

For a quick anti-aliasing effect in Photoshop, you can also
-Magic wand with zero tolerance on the background
-Feather to the degree of anti-aliasing you want
-Delete selected pixels

Maybe there is a similar method for the Gimp? If there is, I would very much like to hear about it.

Breakman79

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:10:28 am »
The Fuzzy Select and Smudge tool are the equivalents to the ones you mentioned for Photoshop.

Zippo, I think you'll need to do something similar to what model76 mentions.  Changed the background of your graphic to something like dark gray then do just what he says and select the background color, blur the hard edges of you graphic with an appropriate tool, then delete the background under the selection, but this time save the transparency colors.

So are you trying to do both now?  Anti-alias the images by hand and use the built in image smoothing?

Voroz

• View Profile
Smoothing bug?
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:23:15 pm »
The built in image-smoothing don't do as good of a job as pre-anti-aliasing. Not close. But i did manage to get it done in corel draw, by chosing alpha color for the outside, and it can't even be filled with white and then say that white is gonna be alpha. I will get an ugly line then. It has to be no color at all, and alpha. This was a bit harder to do with holes in the tree, because if i chose no color it will become the color of the tree in the hole because of the layer system.
So i used eraser for the holes, and now it looks great ^^.

Btw any tips for a good vector supporting library. I found out about vectors not long ago, and they are so much better for games :).
I don't think i will want to change library right now perhaps, but it could be good to know for the future.

anything