Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Opening and closing fraps causes program to crash.  (Read 2341 times)

killerloader

• View Profile
Opening and closing fraps causes program to crash.
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:48:19 am »
I just realized this when i was trying to find a cause of a crash in my program, but when i use fraps to measure the FPS of my program, after i close fraps, my program crashes a few seconds later.
I tested this on more than one of my games that have no relation, so it shouldn't be a bug with my game.
Considering fraps doesn't crash any other game, could this possibly be a bug in SFML?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: Opening and closing fraps causes program to crash.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:10:48 am »
Any sort of capture software that relies on hacks to work (almost all do) is never guaranteed to work with all software. FRAPS is no exception. Because OpenGL applications are less common in the consumer market, they are even less supported than Direct3D applications. The problem is that this is not SFML's fault, but FRAPS' fault, and if you want it to stop causing SFML applications to crash, you will have to report it to the FRAPS maintainers. A similar issue was already brought up in the past here.

Since you only care about measuring the performance of your application, why don't you just do it yourself in your code? This would be 1) simpler to do 2) more accurate than relying on an external program to do it for you and 3) doesn't cause your application to crash in some mysterious way.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

killerloader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:02 am »
Yeah that's fine, it's easy enough to make my own FPS counter.
Thanks for the response, i wont bother reporting it to fraps, it's not that big of an issue :P

DarkRoku12

• Lua coder.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:51:42 am »
When you gonna close FRAPS it will advice you if you are sure to unload the program...
But you even can turn off the fps benchmark. (The program has several options as you know)
I would like a spanish/latin community...
Problems building for Android? Look here

anything