Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New website  (Read 48040 times)

fstream

• View Profile
Re: New website
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:00 am »
(anchors and links use the same HTML tag)
Anchors rely on only the id attribute, which can be used on almost any tag.

For example <h2 id="foobar"> is where you will end up on somesite.com/page.html#foobar.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »
Anchors rely on only the id attribute, which can be used on almost any tag.

For example <h2 id="foobar"> is where you will end up on somesite.com/page.html#foobar.
Ah, thanks. Last time I used HTML anchors was... really a long time ago ;D
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
Regarding the main menu problem: "Docs" and "Tutorials" could be packed into "Help" which shows a page with further links. "Forum" and "Wiki" could go into "Community", again with a page containing links to the two.

You'd get two free slots.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 06:07:44 pm »
Regarding the main menu problem: "Docs" and "Tutorials" could be packed into "Help" which shows a page with further links. "Forum" and "Wiki" could go into "Community", again with a page containing links to the two.
This is exactly how I started, but I didn't like the result. I ended up with almost empty pages.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 06:09:53 pm »
Did you do it like the current documentation/tutorials pages? I didn't mean that you have to click "Help", then "Tutorials", then "SFML 2.0", but instead "Help", then "SFML 2.0 tutorials" (using a nice grouping like you did at the download page).

Palpaleos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 06:17:37 pm »
Where can I find a list of features for this library?

game_maker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:03 pm »
Excellent job! The site is awesome! I loved it.

Thanks for the new tutorials.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 09:40:10 pm »
Overall, I love it. It's a huge improvement.

However, (and I think someone else mentioned this in one of the other threads) there's nothing on the website (that I can find) that says what SFML is and what its features are. The home page is a decent summary, but it would be nice if there was some kind of feature list of each module, much like there was on the old site. It's really helpful when learning what SFML and in making decisions about whether or not it is worth downloading (to know if it does what you need done).

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:37 pm »
I'm kinda missing a feature list. If you send a new user to the website and ask him to answer the question "What is SFML?" he won't be able to properly answer it, since he can't get any information on what SFML really is. ;)
Where can I find a list of features for this library?
there's nothing on the website (that I can find) that says what SFML is and what its features are.

I hope that people will know what SFML is before visiting the website. And the homepage says that SFML is a C++ library that deals with graphics, audio, network and windowing. I think it's enough to get the feeling of what SFML does. Details are in the documentation and tutorials.
;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:31 pm »
I hope that people will know what SFML is before visiting the website. And the homepage says that SFML is a C++ library that deals with graphics, audio, network and windowing. I think it's enough to get the feeling of what SFML does. Details are in the documentation and tutorials.

Well they might have some idea: "Oh my friend said that I should check out SFML, Ok I'll go to the website...", so I think you still need a succinct summary of SFML to inform and reinforce what it is. The people who are familiar with what SFML is won't be spending any time on the front page, so it isn't really for them.

As for the menu issue, I agree that a combined tutorial/docs section would be good, with the actual page listing all the tutorials and documents (rather than just another "tutorial" and "docs" link).

foobarbaz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:02 am »
Oh mah gawd the new site is sooooooo beautiful! I love it!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:12 am »
A feature list would indeed be good. Now, there is no place to get an overview about SFML's functionality. For example, it would be nice to see what image, font and file formats are supported. This would be attractive for newcomers and would allow a fast decision concerning whether SFML is the right library for them.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Foaly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »
I think a feature list would be very nice! It's usually one of the first thigs I look for, when I want to get an overview over a new library. It's also really helpful to compare librarys, to find what you need.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:52 pm »
Supported formats... is there any major format that is not supported? I mean, listing image/sound/fonts formats feels like we're back in the 90s. Now it's a basic feature that every library has.

For higher level features, just have a look at the tutorial index. There's basically 1 tutorial per feature.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 01:18:11 pm »
The main menu on the website is already full, I can't add new sections (bad design, I know...). So I don't know where such a section would go.
I think you should rearrange the menu items, according to their relevance and the frequency they are clicked. For me, the important ones are Tutorials, Doc, and Forum. Especially the latter two are constantly required, if you actively use SFML. License is secondary, one usually looks at it only one time. Download is only relevant each time a new release happens, or not at all, if you use the Git revisions. Wiki and Bugs are of medium importance.

I suggest to merge rarely used categories. For example, you could make an item Overview or similar, which includes Features and License.

Supported formats... is there any major format that is not supported?
MP3 for example.

I mean, listing image/sound/fonts formats feels like we're back in the 90s. Now it's a basic feature that every library has.
Maybe, but it still saves people from searching everywhere or asking in the forum. And the feature list would not only be about the formats. One would get a detailed overview of the library's capabilities, without skimming through the whole documentation. As mentioned, it is a good starting point to decide whether SFML is suitable for a project.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything