Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Failing to make with MinGW  (Read 1839 times)

drummerp

• View Profile
Failing to make with MinGW
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:35 am »
I don't know if there's a better place to put this question, looks like they got rid of the Compiler and IDE-Related forum. I guess if there's a better place it'll be moved.

I've been finding myself unable to compile SFML 2.0 on Windows using MinGW.  I used the CMake GUI to generate a makefile for MinGW. Since there's no mingw32-make in C:\MinGW\bin, I tried building it using the MSYS make command, both from the command line and the MSYS terminal. When I call it from the Windows command line, I simply see:

C:\Data\Programming\SFML\Win64>make.exe
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Data\Programming\SFML\Win64>

Which I recognize as the line printed at the top of the prompt when I first open it. It's worth noting that the title of the console window becomes "Command Prompt - make.exe", as if the output is from make. If I try it from the MSYS terminal, I see the same printout, plus the terminal is converted to a Window cmd prompt:

User@Redacted /c/Data/Programming/SFML\Win64
$ make
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Data\Programming\SFML\Win64>

I'm using the most recent MinGW build (new laptop, so I just downloading the mingw-get installer), on a Windows 8.1 laptop. I have been able to use make (i.e. the same exact executable in the same ways) to build other projects, so it's not just my installation. I've tried regenerating my makefile, to no avail. I'm not particularly good at reading Makefiles, but it looks like there's nothing wrong with the generation.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more information, I'd be willing to provide it.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Failing to make with MinGW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 11:03:36 am »
I can't offer advice as building is probably my weakest point. However, I am curious as to why you're trying to build SFML 2.0 rather than 2.1 or even the latest Git version.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:30:56 am »
I think there should be a mingw32-make in C:\MinGW\bin (at me there is)... are you sure that you installed MinGW correctly? Note that MSYS and MinGW are not the same.

But since you say the very same make.exe works for other projects, you probably did something wrong with the CMake configuration of SFML. Delete everything SFML-related, clone the latest version of the Git repository and try that one again.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

drummerp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:09:37 pm »
I think there should be a mingw32-make in C:\MinGW\bin (at me there is)... are you sure that you installed MinGW correctly? Note that MSYS and MinGW are not the same.

But since you say the very same make.exe works for other projects, you probably did something wrong with the CMake configuration of SFML. Delete everything SFML-related, clone the latest version of the Git repository and try that one again.

I don't know what exactly happened.

I had been trying this whole time to find mingw32-make, but it just didn't seem to exist. I couldn't find the package containing it in the MinGW Get program either...until just now. Got it installed. Don't know why it wasn't automatically installed as a part of the mingw-base package though.

Well, I downloaded 2.1 (I prefer the stable release over the most recent Git version), and tried it again with mingw32-make, and it seems to be working fine. I don't know what the issue was with the MSYS make program... I suppose it is worth noting that the other projects I'd built with make.exe didn't use CMake, they either came with Makefiles or used a custom Configure command. Didn't expect that to be the problem, but maybe it was.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Failing to make with MinGW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »
Not exactly sure what you did, but here are some facts: All the MinGW distributions, except the nuwen one, come with mingw32-make.exe. Within MSYS "make" gets mapped to mingw32-make.exe. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/