Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New to SFML and need some help  (Read 2026 times)

AgentX4000

• View Profile
    • Email
New to SFML and need some help
« on: December 14, 2014, 05:28:43 pm »
Hiya all. I'm new here. I recently became aware of SFML. I made a game using SFML for my CS 201 course. It became the best project of the batch and I got 14.5 out of 12 in that project. My teacher wants me to deliver a lecture on SFML to CS-101 students. I need some help as I'm really new to this. I only know how to display sprites, get input, write text and play sounds.  :( I need some serious help to deliver this lecture.

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New to SFML and need some help
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »
Could you ask a more concrete question? We'd be happy to help, but you haven't even said what the goal of the lecture is, or why simply reusing the official tutorials or your own work wouldn't be enough, so it's not clear what help you're asking us to provide.

AgentX4000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 05:56:40 pm »
Sorry. I need to teach them a bit about graphics. Tell them that there's more than just the black console. I've so far coded a chess game, super mario and bomberman sorta game with SFML.

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »
Why not walk them through the code for some of your own simple games?  Maybe not Super Mario, but I'm sure Chess or a Tetris clone would be short enough to actually show how key parts of the code work in a single lecture.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:28:12 pm »
I got 14.5 out of 12 in that project.
I always thought an understanding of mathematics and logic was important in programming.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »
How exactly do you expect us to help? What responses do you expect to receive by asking here on the forum?

I always thought an understanding of mathematics and logic was important in programming.
It's logical! If you use SFML, then you'll get a better score than the best available score. :D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »

This actually happened to me a few times as an undergrad when I did significantly more than was asked of me.  For instance, in our ASM class when we were tasked with coding a simple game (in a fictional, simplified ASM whose emulator used a bare-bones character display), I had a little too much fun with my Centipede clone and gave it a two-player semi-co-op mode and an endless mode in addition to the standard mode, so I got a few bonus points for that.

Maybe AgentX4000 got it for writing three games instead of just one =P

AgentX4000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:49:17 am »
We were given a bonus logical task. It was initially decided that the ones who wouldn't do it would get 1.5 deducted and would be fighting for 10.5 but when the instructors saw that I was the only one who gave the perfect solution to it they realized that the task was a little too tough and decided not to deduct the marks for not doing it and gave me a bonus instead.

AgentX4000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 02:38:26 pm »
The lecture went quite well today. It spanned almost 2 hours. At first they were quite happy but I think afterwards they were kinda pissed off at me because at the end of that session their instructor announced that they must use SFML in their 101 semester project. The instructor had already made it compulsory for them to go for a game in the project but they were going to do it console based as none of them were familiar with graphics.