Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Can't get different font  (Read 4788 times)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Can't get different font
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:34 pm »
Oh, you're a hater all right. This sentence alone proves it: "Good luck then on your SFML 1.6 journey and have fun rewriting/relearning everything anyways once SFML 2 gets officially released."
Quote from: Wikipedia
Hate is an emotion of intense revulsion.
I didn't really feel emotionally when writing that sentence and certainty not an intense revulsion. ;)
It of course was irony, which unfortunately is sometimes hard to interpret, especially from written words. With that I just wanted to point out, that you'll only shoot yourself in the foot when sticking to SFML 1.6, because sooner or later you'll probably anyways move to SFML 2 and have to rewrite and relearn everything then. The sooner you start the less rewrite is needed.
So the punctuation was on the 'fun' not being funny at all in the future and not really on the 'good luck' part, that was meant and still is meant serious. ;D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »
Well many here, who say SFML 2 is better, have been around when SFML 1.6 was the only version to go at, thus they have more experience and can often tell better where the up and down sides are.
I can totally confirm that. Five years ago, I started using SFML, at that time it was at version 1.2. Since then, I have followed the development quite actively, and I can say that the library has improved vastly in that time. NPS, this is difficult to judge if you have just begun to work with the library. You don't know what advantages SFML 2 brings you before you see the limitations of 1.6.

Just to come up with another example: In SFML 1.6, it was not possible to load images that are bigger than the texture limit of your graphics card (now it can be split). Therefore, drawing a background image of 1000 pixels width might already be an issue on computers that are a few years old. Also, you had no possibility to detect when the window loses focus, to pause a game. You could not load images directly from a stream (like a file archive). There are tons of examples like this, when using SFML 1.6 you will be left completely alone. Not only because most forum users work with version 2, but also because you have no chance of a bug ever being fixed, or a feature ever being introduced -- unless you switch to SFML 2.

So no, eXpl0it3r is not exaggerating at all. And you shouldn't feel offended so fast on the internet ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

NPS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 12:10:42 am »
Eh... You're a hater because you treat SFML 1.6 like pure evil. You don't need to actually feel hatred for that term to apply. And I don't understand why we're even arguing about the words and semantics...

Nexus, by saying exploiter was exaggerating I meant the SFML 1.6 being that bad, not SFML 2.0 being that much better.

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:01 am »
I meant the SFML 1.6 being that bad, not SFML 2.0 being that much better.

While I understand your point I can tell that both Nexus and eXpl0it3r are right. If you haven't heard of it then look for the ATI bug that 1.6 had. Not working well for a large portion of hardware is a grand sin for a multimedia library, that has (and mostly could have only) been overcome with time and experience. The whole graphics API was rewritten for a reason.

For your project 1.6 may be fine, but for anything else is non-sense unless you have a real reason for not changing, honestly I can't think of one other than your case.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!