Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RenderTexture creation slowdown due to pixel formats on Windows.  (Read 929 times)

PJB3005

• View Profile
    • Email
RenderTexture creation slowdown due to pixel formats on Windows.
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:51:03 am »
So, for some reason, in our C# project, RenderTextures are incredibly slow to create. In fact it's so slow that the delay from attempting to make one caused dropped frames which is not nice. Resizing the window (and all the 11 render textures that needed updating) basically hung for a good 5 seconds straight.

So I compiled CSFML in debug mode to get some PDB files, attached Visual Studio's profiler, aaaand...

See, if this was a more complicated call stack I would've just admitted defeat or asked for help. Except it's literally one function causing all horrible CPU usage. I was immediately suspicious that these should be cacheable. So I went and removed the selectBestPixelFormat from createSurface and made it use the same pixel format as the main context.

Resizing the window became about as instant as Windows supports and there were no issues with render textures anymore.

I pushed the change to my fork on GitHub, see it here: https://github.com/PJB3005/SFML/commit/d960c4d670cd169e5f45d95731e5bbde1571ae9e. It's pretty bad and I didn't intend for this to go anywhere except me going "wow that worked", and it genuinely worked too. Problem is I can totally see this breaking in case something passes context settings that are different from what we've got in the shared context.

I tried to recreate the bottleneck in a test project and it's a lot less noticeable, although it's definitely still there. The test project is just a basic window doing a hue shift over time using clear(). There's 10 render textures that resize when the window does. Resizing without my change is still fast but it's slower if you compare it.

I don't know what we did to cause the OpenGL driver to become this much slower at choosing pixel formats, but it's definitely the NVidia driver (GTX 970 in case that's relevant) and not SFML's fault.

So now I'm wondering whether there is something I'm doing wrong or whether it'd be a good idea for SFML to implement some rudimentary proper caching of the pixel formats to prevent this bottleneck. I can try implementing it myself properly, though I don't know C++ well (that hack was the first C++ code I've ever written outside UE4).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: RenderTexture creation slowdown due to pixel formats on Windows.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:52 am »
First we'd have to check whether this problem occurs in a lot of situations, and not just with your own code and/or specific version of the graphics driver. And yes, if it's worth it, we can investigate caching the pixel formats. So I suggest you open an issue on github (link this forum thread), and see what feedback we get.

Regarding your code, what about caching render-textures? You create 11 render-textures with maximum size (ie. size of desktop) at startup, and then just use a smaller part of them if your window is smaller. And if you don't need the 11 render-textures at the same time, you could go with less as well, for example 2. In my opinion these are much more relevant optimizations.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

PJB3005

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RenderTexture creation slowdown due to pixel formats on Windows.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:16:26 pm »
Regarding your code, what about caching render-textures? You create 11 render-textures with maximum size (ie. size of desktop) at startup, and then just use a smaller part of them if your window is smaller. And if you don't need the 11 render-textures at the same time, you could go with less as well, for example 2. In my opinion these are much more relevant optimizations.

I get where you're coming from and while we probably have way too many render texures, that still doesn't solve the problem as the hanging is large enough to miss frames for even single render textures, so if we ever need to create render textures mid-game (which we do, again for the lighting engine, although this could probably be 100% avoided with some effort), there's still a hitch which is unacceptable.

The issue is certainly in the driver, not SFML. I guess I can try bisecting large sections of code to see what could be the culprit.

anything