Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Couple questions regarding sf::(Render)Texture performance  (Read 3842 times)

Ancurio

• View Profile
Couple questions regarding sf::(Render)Texture performance
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »
So, I have come to the point with my engine where most of the infrastructure is in place
and I can slowly start looking at actual performance. Only now did I notice how big the gap
in time needed is between allocating normal and render textures (I am using render textures
all over the place, so this really shows).

As a first step, I let this code run to get some first numbers. Here are my results on
my laptop's "Mobility Radeon HD 3650" (all times in microseconds):

Creating 4 512x512 RENDER textures
0 : 348745
1 : 74412
2 : 77889
3 : 73580
Freeing took: 45563

Creating 4 512x512 textures
0 : 174984
1 : 17
2 : 17
3 : 16
Freeing took: 12156

Creating 4 512x512 textures AND render textures, interleaved
tex  0 : 171275
rtex 0 : 75883
tex  1 : 52
rtex 1 : 79667
tex  2 : 51
rtex 2 : 73639
tex  3 : 49
rtex 3 : 76513
Freeing took: 40397

Creating 4 512x512 textures with immediate free
0 : 173745
1 : 170852
2 : 170081
3 : 167905

Uploading 512x512 image data 4 times
0 : 3977
1 : 741
2 : 681
3 : 464

Downloading 512x512 image data 4 times
0 : 6717
1 : 2428
2 : 2327
3 : 2374

This showed me a couple things, namely:
  • When allocating normal textures in series, all allocations after the first one are very fast
  • Allocating render textures in series bears no speedup
  • Allocating render textures in between normal texture allocation doesn't reset the speedup
  • However, freeing normal textures seems to reset the speedup
  • Using an image/texture pair over a render texture
    (ie. render locally and upload on each update) is actually viable

The reason I say image+texture might be viable is because the upload times aren't big enough
to cause frame drops if only a handful are being updated each frame (at 40-60 FPS), while the render texture
would induce a massive frame drop on creation, something that image+texture wouldn't suffer from (I think).
Still there are parts where I absolutely need render textures.

Due to the high cost of render textures, and the convenient fact that although they will be
allocated and freed pretty often, the allocations mostly happen with the same repeated sizes
(ie. same sized render texture will be requested repeatedly) in my engine, I decided to implement
a sort of render texture cache/pool mechanism where an x amount of last "released" render textures
are retained for reuse by the next call that requests an rtexture with the same size.

So now a couple questions both in relation to normal and render textures arise,
as I have had no previous experience with graphics
programming prior to SFML (except software vector graphics with cairo/Qt),
and am therefore pretty oblivious to the intrinsic parts of openGL:
  • What are other "speedup blockers" that I should be aware of, which slow down texture allocation?
  • Are the numbers I am getting actually valid (ie. when the texture 'create()' call returns,
    has it really been created), or is there some "command buffer" that only gets flushed on certain events (eg. first access)?
  • Regarding VRAM, how big is the memory usage of normal and render textures?
    How many would approximately fit into, let's say, 256MB?
  • Is memory usage of textures directly proportional to their pixel count?
    Ie., is the space a 200x200 texture occupies in VRAM exactly 4 times the amount a 100x100 texture uses?
    And how about render textures?
Those last questions are important to me so I can make an estimate on how many render textures
to pool.

Thanks! ^^

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Couple questions regarding sf::(Render)Texture performance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:20:55 pm »
What are other "speedup blockers" that I should be aware of, which slow down texture allocation?
I don't know. It can also depend on your hardware -- ie. all your test results may be totally different on another machine.

Are the numbers I am getting actually valid (ie. when the texture 'create()' call returns,
has it really been created), or is there some "command buffer" that only gets flushed on certain events (eg. first access)?
It might get queued or not, who knows what the driver actually does?

Regarding VRAM, how big is the memory usage of normal and render textures?
How many would approximately fit into, let's say, 256MB?
Is memory usage of textures directly proportional to their pixel count?
Ie., is the space a 200x200 texture occupies in VRAM exactly 4 times the amount a 100x100 texture uses?
And how about render textures?
A texture takes the size of its pixel data (width * height * 4 bytes). The extra few bytes needed for the texture information itself are negligible.

Note that a RenderTexture is a texture, it's not a different beast.

And I'm really confused about all these questions: creating a texture or a render-texture is a slow operation but it's fine because it's not supposed to happen very often. You may have design issues if you create so many of them after initialization phases.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Ancurio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:55:17 pm »
Thanks Laurent, it kind of dawned on me that SFML can't really see past openGL and into
the driver implementation. I just thought maybe SFML did some optimizations of its own.

It's also good to know texture size is equal to image size (4bytes per pixel),
and, against my expectations, that there is not much additional overhead for render textures.

creating a texture or a render-texture is a slow operation but it's fine because it's not supposed to happen very often.

Yeah, I know.. unfortunately the way my engine will be used requires frequent
"destruction and creation of on-screen drawables", which right now I map almost
directly to (render) textures, so apart from pooling and reusing resources there is not much I can do.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:58:36 pm by Ancurio »

krzat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »
What's wrong with pooling and why do you need so much render textures?
SFML.Utils - useful extensions for SFML.Net

Ancurio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:06:16 pm »
What's wrong with pooling and why do you need so much render textures?

Nothing is wrong with pooling^^ That's why I just started implementing it know.
I didn't know I needed it until recently (hence this thread).

My engine exposes certain on-screen types, one of them being drawables ("Bitmaps"),
some of them constructs rendered by the engine which need render textures to look
correctly. And the scripts that my engine will run (not written by me) basically encourage
diligent freeing of unused resources, which is of course harder to deal with at the engine level.

Imagine that you would free all resources making up your current level whenever the player
opens the menu, then freeing all resources related to the menu once the player leaves it again.
That's of course not how you would code your game in SFML, but that's the way the scripts
I will run are coded.

anything