Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: libGLEW.so.1.5 no found  (Read 10101 times)

lesshardtofind

• View Profile
libGLEW.so.1.5 no found
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:08 pm »
Hey!

I've tried SDL, Win32, and GLUT, with OpenGL and I just found out about SFML yesterday.  I figured I'd give it a try because I prefer to program in C++.  I have had some bumps along the way getting things to work.  I'm still trying to compile the first example program in your tutorial and I hit a wall on this error.

warning: libGLEW.so.1.5 needed by (blah blah path) graphics.so

I have libGLEW.so.1.8 on my system is this causing the problem?

Thanks for any and all help!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: libGLEW.so.1.5 no found
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:45:12 am »
I'm not a Linux expert, but I'd say that you either have to install the GLEW 1.5 version or recompile SFML to handle GLEW 1.8.

Also make sure to use SFML 2.0 and not 1.6, because the 1.6 version is quite outdated, has many bugs and lacks nice features like sf::RenderTexture or sf::VertexArray. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

lesshardtofind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:44 am »
I am probably even less of an expert as I have spent way to much time trying to get this library to build.  I just started using ubuntu last month so very new to Unix.

I will try to get the older packages installed on my machine after work.  Are you sure this isn't going to create problems in my system to have old and new GLEW files?

I downloaded the 64 bit 2.0 version of SFML.

Ideka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:08:38 am »
How did you install SFML?

I will try to get the older packages installed on my machine after work.  Are you sure this isn't going to create problems in my system to have old and new GLEW files?
No, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you can't get it to work, try running
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libsfml-devon a terminal.
That should automatically dowload and install SFML 1.6 and take care of dependencies too. Not version 2.0, but it should work out of the box.

lesshardtofind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:24:45 am »
I tried the sudo apt-get I don't think it is listed as a package for ubuntu 12.10 x64 bit.  So I installed all the individual packages and extracted the files from version 2.0 tried to send it to usr/include but it told me I didn't have the privledges so.  I extracted to a dif folder then I used

sudo mv SFML/ /usr/include

I did the same with the lib folder.  I did not with the share folder as it looked like only documents (maybe I should have?)

Then g++ was finally finding all the folders and libraries and that's when the message came up about GLEW.so1.5.  I knew it was downloaded so I went to the directory it was looking in and found 1.8 that was where I figured it wasn't compiled to use 1.8 but I wanted to ask since I figured someone here had gone through this before.

Before u say it I know I am prob retarded about how I did some of it, but I am new to Unix (1 month) and I like it but I still have trouble finding my way around the OS.

Ideka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:02:48 am »
Yeah, that's not how you install stuff in Linux. Undo that, it may cause problems.

If you are OK with installing version 1.6, the command I provided earlier should do the trick. The package is available in Ubuntu 12.10 amd64. Look: http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/libsfml-dev
If you ran the command and it didn't work, something must have gone wrong. Run it again and post the output you get from the console.

If you want version 2.0, it's going to be harder, since there's apparently no package for it. You will have to compile it from source.
Run these in order:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libsndfile1-dev libxrandr-dev libjpeg-dev libopenal-dev libglew-dev libfreetype6-dev git libgl1-mesa-dev libegl1-mesa-dev cmake doxygen
git clone https://github.com/SFML/SFML.git
cd SFML
mkdir SFML-build
cd SFML-build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ".." -DSFML_BUILD_DOC=true -DSFML_BUILD_EXAMPLES=true
make
make doc
sudo make DESTDIR="/" install
Hopefully everything will work and you will be ready to go... hopefully.

lesshardtofind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:24:46 am »
Well there was no install file and all the includes seem to be intact, but I will take your word for it.  I am stuck @ work tonight, but I will post back the results when I get back to my laptop.

Ideka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:59:37 am »
Well there was no install file and all the includes seem to be intact
What do you mean?

lesshardtofind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 07:54:03 am »
well it turns out that just installing the package as you suggested worked... I had just wanted to get the most up to date version and I'm sure I did something stupid along the way and shot myself in the foot.  At least you were able to follow the blood trail and help me back out alive ;o).

Thanks again.

Ideka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »
Well... nice. You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

MartynMagic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »
I just want to confirm that the solution of Ideka works. Thank you very much. This saved me a lot of time.

anything