Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: trouble installing  (Read 2280 times)

mrcolortvjr

• View Profile
    • Email
trouble installing
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:39:05 pm »
I'm having trouble installing SFML on mac os x 10.8. I'm using cmake 2.8 and xcode 4.

I configured and generated unix makefiles with cmake and installed them with terminal (using "sudo make install"). I followed the instructions posted by sbroadfoot90 found here and the items were definitely installed when i entered the terminal commands. When it failed to compile, I realized I had done some things wrong (namely I hadnt pressed "configure" again after checking all the boxes needed in cmake) and reiterated the process with the mistakes corrected.
Now, when I compile I get a large list of errors and warnings (see below)

I tried to clean (which I did by manually by deleting the frameworks installed by the "sudo make install" command and the files installed to /usr/local/share/) and reinstall but this didnt help at all. (Am I cleaning incorrectly?)

As far as the installation process goes, I feel I may have the SFML folder containing all the source information for the build in the wrong folder perhaps. I placed it in as such: Users/erikthorne/SFML. But all my applications, including xcode, are found in MacintoshHD/Applications

these two errors are what all the other ones look like, I didnt feel the need to include all of them because I imagine one is sufficient for identifying the issue with the installation process

ld: warning: ignoring file /Library/Frameworks/sfml-system.framework/sfml-system, file was built for unsupported file format ( 0xcf 0xfa 0xed 0xfe 0x 7 0x 0 0x 0 0x 1 0x 3 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 0x 6 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 ) which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /Library/Frameworks/sfml-system.framework/sfml-system

Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "sf::SoundStream::play()", referenced from:
      _main in main.o

NOTE: a missing vtable usually means the first non-inline virtual member function has no definition.
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

really, I don't know whats going on. I've been quite frustrated over this for too long now and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me figure it out so I can actually start coding again
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:00:29 am by mrcolortvjr »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: trouble installing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:01:03 pm »
I hate those errors... anyway, could you give me the output of this command:

file /Library/Frameworks/sfml-system.framework/sfml-system

Side question, why not downloading the precompiled binaries from the download page?
SFML / OS X developer

mrcolortvjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
... the output of this command:

file /Library/Frameworks/sfml-system.framework/sfml-system

/Library/Frameworks/sfml-system.framework/sfml-system: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Side question, why not downloading the precompiled binaries from the download page?

because I was unaware of their existence :) where are they? I dont see any "precompiled binaries" option
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:56:24 pm by mrcolortvjr »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:33:24 am »
Well, I should probably NOT use "precompiled binaries" as it's misleading... sorry about that. I meant, you can download a compiled version of SFML 2.0 from the download page.

Then, follow the official tutorial (from this website). It should be pretty straightforward to install and use SFML with them.

Regarding your problem, it appears you have compiled SFML only for 64bits architectures but your project is compiled for a 32bits arch. The compiled version you can download with the link above takes care of that and work with both 32bits & 64bits archs.
SFML / OS X developer

mrcolortvjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:36:56 am »
So I deleted all the files from my previous attempts at installing SFML (even the SFML folder in my root directory). I then re-downloaded the source code from that link you posted, and installed it (manually) with the tutorial found on sgml-dev.org.

now that I have done that, what should I enter into terminal to actually install it? Do I use make clean at all? What directory should I be in such that sudo make install has a target?

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:19:49 am »
http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.0/start-osx.php

Start with that.

(You don't need to download the source of SFML, just the binaries.)
SFML / OS X developer

anything