Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: An Issue with the latest build, xprop, and i3wm, and mouse input...  (Read 864 times)

bloodythorn

• View Profile
This problem might be fairly abstract and I'm really not sure I am in the right place, but here we go.

I just updated my version of SFML, I believe from 2.1, to the latest trunk. Installation went smoothly, everything seems to work except one thing is slightly different.

When I run xprop on the SFML generated window, the relevant information I use to govern how my tiling windows manager (i3) handles the window is different.

In the old version it would display:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "sfmlprogram" , "sfmlprogram"

... I believe correlated to the name of the executable, and the title of my application, in that order.

On the newer version I get:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "sfmlprogram"

I am positive that is only the executable name.

And for some reason my tiling windows manager no longer recognizes this so it knows to allow it to use a floating window, instead of automatically being tiled in with my other auto-sorted applications.

This of course is a problem as when it is thrown into the tiling mill, the tile manager stretches the window, and what's in it, and when I switch it to a floating window the damage that creates is never undone.

In the previous version of SFML I was running, this worked flawlessly.

If it helps, here's the entry in i3's configuration manual that outlines the process that used to work fine before I updated to the latest SFML version

http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_automatically_putting_clients_on_specific_workspaces

Again, I know my situation is strange, and the problem is probably more my setup's fault. However this did work in previous versions of SFML. Even if I can't really get a solution, getting an explanation as to why this is happening now and not previously would be invaluable to evaluating graphics/game libraries for using in my specific programming setup.

Thanks for any help you have.

Edit: Looks like I also lost my mouse input on the newer version. It was happening on a laptop that I recently installed, but I chalked that up to the laptop. Now since I've installed to the newest version, this computer too has lost mouse input. This hasn't been objectively tested yet, so I am currently in the process of rolling back to 2.1 to see if the problem persists.

Edit: Reverting back to 2.1 seems to have resolved both the mouse and the tile-wm issue. I would still like to know what is causing this, as I probably don't want to stay on 2.1 for good. Still, any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:16:02 am by bloodythorn »

anything