Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Scene-graphs and multiple sf::views  (Read 1538 times)

Cyrana

• View Profile
Scene-graphs and multiple sf::views
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:37 am »
Hello dear forum : )

I have a tile-grid-based game (and layered) with some GUI-widgets on top.
Additionally, I'm rolling an entity-compoment-system, so there is a graphics-component per entity aiming to be visualised (contains proxy to their texture).

At the moment, I store them in a vector - being the level-structure itself.
The order represents the coordinate in the grid: First element is upper-left of the grid and last element is bottom-right.

Now, sending my level-structure to the painter-class should not happen - why would a painter-class need to know how my level is structured..
Additionally, I require multiple sf::views (one for a GUI-menu and one for the level).

How would you structure your code?
My component-factory could be linked to a scene-graph. Immediately adding a reference of every graphics-component upon creation.

But then, what is about multiple sf::views?
Should there be a view-graph as well? One that can simply add sf::views to an unordered map, each having a unique string as key ("gui" or "level_scene"). Every node within the scene-graph would then refer to either sf::view.

Probably a better idea: Have one scene-graph per view. Every scene-graph composites one sf::view.
When my GUI-loader loads, I create one graph just for that. When my level-loader loads, I create one graph just for that, too.
Both are then added to the painter-class, who iterates over their owned visualisation component.

Only thing about that, it would require my painter-class to additionally iterate over a vector of scene-graphs (just feel like this is bad design - not trying to prematurely optimise).

I'm really curious if there are any neat patterns that solved this issue already? Are there already other SFML-projects that tackled this problem?

Thanks a lot, have a great day : )

fallahn

• Buns.
    • View Profile
    • Trederia
Re: Scene-graphs and multiple sf::views
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:44 am »
My solution was to wrap the view in a 'camera' component. This way its movement can be dictated by the entity to which it is attached, theoretically a player, or an off scene area dedicated to laying out the UI. The scengraph (in the Scene class) is drawable, so in pseudocode works like:

m_scene.setActiveCamera(sceneCam);
rw.draw(m_scene);
m_scene.setActiveCamera(uiCam);
rw.draw(m_scene);

There's more detail on the project wiki