Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sf::Clock problems  (Read 2362 times)

Disch

• View Profile
sf::Clock problems
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:10:30 am »
Hey all.  I'm working on the timing for my game and I have a problem with sf::Clock.

My goal is to have a game-wide clock drive the logic so that I update logic every 10 milliseconds.  However I want precision to 1 millisecond so that I can render between updates for smooth movement at any framerate.

Now I could very well use sf::Clock for this, but it has one major problem:  it returns a float.

floats only have 23 bits of mantissa, so by my math, that gives me a little over 2 hours before it starts losing precision and my game starts behaving very strangely as a result.  (2^23 / 1000 / 60 / 60 = ~2.33 hours)

It's not unreasonable to expect someone to play a game for 2 hours straight.  Especially if they pause in the middle and take a break while leaving the game running in the background.  So this is a serious concern of mine.

Because of this, using sf::Clock by itself is unacceptable for my needs.  So what about solutions?

My first thought was to hide sf::Clock behind my own class.  Something like this:

Code: [Select]

class Clock
{
private:
  unsigned tick;
  sf::Clock clk;

public:
  Clock() : tick(0) { }

unsigned GetTick()
  {
    float f = clk.GetElapsedTime();
    clk.Reset();

tick += static_cast<unsigned>( f * 1000 );
    return tick;
  }
};

While this isn't an ideal solution, it's the best one I have so far.

Is there any way I can just get a millisecond "tick count" from SFML?  One that wraps at 32 bits?  Wrapping isn't a problem -- it's loss of precision that's a problem.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
sf::Clock problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:05:47 am »
Clock.Reset at the 10ms mark, then do the logic. It avoids loss of precision and has minimal lag.
I use the latest build of SFML2

anything