Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: OpenGL static linking  (Read 3002 times)

slotdev

• View Profile
OpenGL static linking
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »
I have just put my application on a target system, and for whatever reason it doesn't have OpenGL installed, and complains that OpenGL32.dll is missing.

Can I static link OpenGL in my application so I don't have to worry about this? Or should the question be, do the -s versions of the SFML libraries static link to OpenGL ?

Thanks
SFML 2.1

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
OpenGL static linking
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:10:26 pm »
It's not that simple ;)

If OpenGL is not installed it means that the PC doesn't have a compatible graphics card / driver (OpenGL is not a regular library, it's only a spec, each vendor must provide its implementation).

So your target PC has serious graphics problems, that must be solved before trying to run any OpenGL application.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

slotdev

• View Profile
OpenGL static linking
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 01:37:13 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
So your target PC has serious graphics problems, that must be solved before trying to run any OpenGL application.

All 9000 of them  :(  Oh. Dear.

The graphics card's driver utility (Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for Mobile - yes it is that rubbish) suggests it has OpenGL enabled, but nowhere on the hard drive is there any OpenGL dlls.
SFML 2.1

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
OpenGL static linking
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:58 pm »
The graphics card's driver utility (Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for Mobile - yes it is that rubbish) suggests it has OpenGL enabled

Have you installed the latest drivers? Have you tried a non-SFML OpenGL application?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

slotdev

• View Profile
OpenGL static linking
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:49:10 pm »
Laurent

I can't install any drivers, or change the configuration of the system whatsoever. The game will eventually be released on to many thousands of (automated) machines.

The only thing I can do is package any necessary DLLs with the executable.

I will try another pure OpenGL app and see what happens. Not much, I suspect.
SFML 2.1

Xander314

• View Profile
    • http://sfmlcoder.wordpress.com/
    • Email
OpenGL static linking
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:49:58 pm »
Why can't you install drivers? Because it needs to be compatible with lots of systems? An OpenGL driven library obviously will only run on systems with OpenGL.

EDIT: I think Laurent was saying that you can't package the OpenGL dll, as the implementation is hardware dependent.

anything