Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Networking example doesn't work  (Read 2184 times)

s3rius

• View Profile
Networking example doesn't work
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »
Hi there,
I've been duct-taping together a small chat tool to get familiar with the network stuff.

Needless to say it didn't work, or else I wouldn't be posting here  :wink:

After that I tried using the socket example program that's inside SFML's sample folder.
I tested it out with a friend and it also didn't work. For him the program seemed to connect fine, but for me nothing happened.

I sit behind a router, but I've forwarded the port (UDP and TCP, however we only tried TCP connection).
We both added the program as an exception to the firewall (later we disabled it completely, just to double check).
I used the IP I got from there: http://www.sfml-dev.org/ip-provider.php

So, I think I have checked everything that usually poses an error. It still didn't connect for me.

Anyone knows something I can do to single out the problem? Or how to find it in the first place *cough*

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »
Have you tried first on a local network?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

s3rius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »
I've tried connecting to myself via 127.0.0.1 and monitored it with hercules - and that worked. Thankfully. I think if it didn't there's be something seriously wrong.

Haven't tried it with the other computer being connected with the router, if that's what you mean. I might be able to try that out tomorrow.

anything