Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2d video game with text  (Read 2576 times)

snaef98

• View Profile
2d video game with text
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to build a video game similar to the old might and magic game on the Sega... with 2d vide movement and text. I've been able to initialize a blank openGL window and play music but ive been having problems printing a string to the window, also when i load music to the window the window itself seems to cause stuff to loop. Im very new to this kind of programming since im used to console applications. If anyone could point me in the direction for getting a basic window setup id appreicate it thanks!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: 2d video game with text
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »
Quote from: "snaef98"
I've been able to initialize a blank openGL window
Why OpenGL? Concerning basic 2D graphics, SFML should provide everything you need. Only for more advanced stuff, OpenGL is necessary.

but ive been having problems printing a string to the window
Have you taken a look at the SFML tutorials, especially the one that explains how to draw strings/texts?
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

David

• View Profile
2d video game with text
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
I seriously don't understand why you're using OpenGL (OpenGL is for 3D games, not 2D) :?

Here's the tutorial on the site for displaying strings:

http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.6/graphics-fonts.php

snaef98

• View Profile
2d video game with text
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:44:23 pm »
I think i was wrong accually its the the regular window not  opengl window but i think the problem lies with the fact im using Catalyst 11.5 with ATI graphics i read somewhere that anything past 10.10 won't work with SFML? Im using visual studio 2008  SFML 1.6 with radeon HD 5870 / Catalyst 11.5

The program compiles correctly but after i updated my graphics drivers now the window won't even open it just sits idle with the console window.
Prior to this i was able to open a blank window, load some music but was unable to get the fonts/text string to load.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
2d video game with text
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:59:56 am »
I think i was wrong accually its the the regular window not  opengl window but i think the problem lies with the fact im using Catalyst 11.5 with ATI graphics i read somewhere that anything past 10.10 won't work with SFML? Im using visual studio 2008  SFML 1.6 with radeon HD 5870 / Catalyst 11.5

The program compiles correctly but after i updated my graphics drivers now the window won't even open it just sits idle with the console window.
Prior to this i was able to open a blank window, load some music but was unable to get the fonts/text string to load.
If you're using SFML 1.6 or an older version of SFML2, you'll get errors with ATi drivers. Use a new build of SFML2.
I use the latest build of SFML2

anything