Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Project:Red  (Read 3946 times)

Halsys

• Halsys like Hal.sys
    • View Profile
    • Email
Project:Red
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:27:22 am »
PROJECT: RED
FYI... That's not going to be the name

Its nothing special and its still very much a prototype... Nothing near to what I want the finished prototype to look like. All of the art and music is going to be based off of the artist Boys Noize. So its very much a musical game. The art style is something I got from when I was watching this video by Neal Coghlan.

So imagine a game featuring all of the traits of that video... including the Hard red color and the awesome music but as a platformer. My friend, the art Director, plans on making it a smooth and very rounded game like the video. Here in the pic, there all pixel art but carry the same vision I had.

I will plan on releasing a demo on this forum, not a full copy and no source code. You can ask me in a PM if you wanted to know how I did some things... Like the Tile Management. anyway, the game is very much in the beginning stages... and its my first game ever.... So development is going to be slow and controlled.

List of things I plan on adding:
  • Physics from a 2D physics engine
  • A lot of musical content
  • The ability to make your own levels
  • Multiplatform - Right now its Linux and Windows... maybe more
  • Controller Support
  • 3D?
  • Maybe more

Legal concerns pertaining to the use of Boys Noize's music:
The music in the game is going to be mixed like a common remix you find on the internet. I'm also taking measures to make sure that none of the music sounds like the real thing it came from. So you cant record the game to get a full copy of a album.

I hope you guys find this more promising than the posts/topics I made before...
You guys helped me this far... don't kill the dream.
Oh and if you guys have ideas or suggestions.... Go ahead and ask.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:34:44 am by Halsys »
If you notice I put "....", in my sentences way too much... I'm sorry.

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Project:Red
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:19:57 am »
It looks quite nice, the visuals will surely be something that's not seen often. And good highly musical games are always remarkable in opinion.

I plan to release my first demo the same way since I hope it can go commercial someday, but being my first serious game as well it may take quite a while, so I guess we're in the same boat. Good luck with your project.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

Halsys

• Halsys like Hal.sys
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:52:43 am »
Hey, thanks man.... I'v always wanted to make a great game and now i'm finally doing it.
I'm also very determined to make this game happen... I'm taking small baby steps to make it happen.

I also wish you luck on your game, I kinda wanna see what you have... Mind sending me a link to what you got so far? When you said were in the same boat, you kinda got me curious on the game your working on. Sounds like your pretty attached to your game... and that's a good thing. Something Most company's refuse to take to the heart... I almost only see it in indie games.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
I can't watch the video due to music licensing problems. (Yes, this is Germany :()

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »
I can't watch the video due to music licensing problems. (Yes, this is Germany :()
Although I don't really like the video (too random), I quickly put it on Dropbox... ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »
I also wish you luck on your game, I kinda wanna see what you have... Mind sending me a link to what you got so far? When you said were in the same boat, you kinda got me curious on the game your working on. Sounds like your pretty attached to your game... and that's a good thing. Something Most company's refuse to take to the heart... I almost only see it in indie games.

Mine is a bullet hell shooter, I made a thread, but I haven't updated it in quite a while, once I finish player shot collisions (or even shot rendering since I just started with that) I'll upload a video of it. I might as well prepare some screenshots of what I have and upload them one of these days. Since I've been working around four months non-stop on it I am quite attached to it like you guessed.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

Halsys

• Halsys like Hal.sys
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:38 pm »
@Tank This is funny because the guy who makes the music lives in Berlin.
But the guy who made the video lives in the UK... That's just stupid really.

@eXpl0it3r Thanks for doing that. And about the randomness... The game is going to be random but not in the sense as the video really. The video had to work with the music, The music in my game has to work with the game, and so the quick scene changes in the video wont happen in my game.

@masskiller Bullet Hell, eh? Sounds awesome, Cant wait to see the pictures!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:37:11 pm by Halsys »

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:05:40 am »
Thanks eXpl0it3r. What an intense video. :O

Halsys

• Halsys like Hal.sys
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:31 am »
Progress update...

Got Box2D to work with my game... Still nothing fancy...Yet.

anything