Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Listener Orientation  (Read 2810 times)

SteveDeFacto

• View Profile
Listener Orientation
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »
Seems ridiculous to me that SFML 2.0 does not provide access to the up vector which is the default functionality of OpenAL. SFML is a beautiful library but I completely fail to understand why Laurent is being reluctant to implement this basic functionality. Also while I'm at it there are other things I want to complain about. sf::Window::getPostion does not work on Linux and sf::Mouse::setPosition is sending an event on Linux.  I will gladly fix these things for you, Laurent.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Listener Orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:49:37 am »
Seems ridiculous [...] but I completely fail to understand why Laurent is being reluctant [...]
Please post in an objective way, emotional posts rarely lead to useful discussions.

sf::Window::getPostion does not work on Linux
Can you describe the problem more clearly? By the way, you should open a separate thread for this issue in the Window subforum.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »
There's a previous discussion about this up vector, did you read it ? It probably contains interesting stuff.

And yes, please don't mix unrelated things in a single post. I'll be glad to answer to the other topics when you put them in a separate thread, and give more details about them :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

SteveDeFacto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:25 pm »
There's a previous discussion about this up vector, did you read it ? It probably contains interesting stuff.

And yes, please don't mix unrelated things in a single post. I'll be glad to answer to the other topics when you put them in a separate thread, and give more details about them :)

Yes, I did read it. I also read another post about the same issue from almost a year ago: http://www.sfml-dev.org/old-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6057&sid=e5a5bc3374c79e6f25d9b9646fdb316d It seems apparent you have no intention of implementing this feature anytime soon. I am almost certain this would be no more than an hour of work on your part and I believe you don't see it as necessary since sfml does not do 3d rendering.

As for the other problems I was able to hack my way around them so I don't really care that much. I'm just going to keep using OpenAL directly for my audio but it seems like a shame that the only thing preventing me from using sfml audio is the lack of an up vector...

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:47:58 am »
It seems apparent you have no intention of implementing this feature anytime soon.
Really?

I'm just asking that you consider this feature.
I'll do.

I have to think more about it, and see how this can be solved (with or without adding something to SFML).

http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=2782.0

So it seems obvious that I'll consider adding this feature, and more people requesting it will probably speed up the process.
However your attitude won't help at all.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything