Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Networking tutorial?  (Read 2440 times)

lrx

• View Profile
Networking tutorial?
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:33:37 am »
Hello,

I want to take brief break from all that tiles I've been drawing past days and learn some basics about network programming. I threw topic into google and found people recommending to skip Winsock and move straight away to some other api, They actually mentioned SFML as first choice for beginners. But there not being any up to date tutorial, I have to wonder, if there are few enough changes to go with 1.6 tutorial and adapt it to 2.0 on fly or go hardcore to boost asio or yet something else? What do you think?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Networking tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:44:04 am »
I'd say that the 1.6 tutorials + the API documentation should be enough, but of course it depends on your level.

But the network tutorials should be ready soon (2 weeks).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:25:13 am »
I threw topic into google and found people recommending to skip Winsock and move straight away to some other api
This is not a good idea if you ask me. I also find the low level sockets API to be very... low level, but all networking APIs have one thing in common: they all base their communication on the same underlying concepts e.g. sockets, packets, selectors, TCP, UDP etc. If you want to fully understand how to use the SFML networking library you need to understand these concepts as well. And it just happens that they are the same for Winsock as for SFML. I'd say instead of waiting for the 2.0 tutorial to come or starting with the 1.6 tutorial, you can read a bit about networking in general to familiarize yourself with the concepts and see how SFML provides interfaces to the lower level functionality.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

lrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:42:06 pm »
I can't stomach a lot of theory without practice in between, that's goes for everything I do. So I guess I will read a bit then start with sfml, and eventually move to boost should I need more features.

Thanks for responds

anything